Logo

Adjusting 9.9 shift rod coupler

mcgyver

Contributing Member
1993 4 stroke changed out waterpump but cant get the coupler/length set properly. Forgot to count the threads before i undid the coupler. Have adjusted it but cant get it set to neutral properly. There isnt an adjustment procedure in the manual that i could find. Thanks

I am speaking from a failing memory here but if I recall correctly the jam nut is on the bottom rod and the coupling nut is on the top rod.

Put the lower unit is reverse and the shift mechanism in reverse. Install the lower unit. Run the coupling nut down until it is positioned so that half of the coupling nut is on the top rod and the other half of the coupling nut is on the lower rod. Run the jam nut up to the coupling nut and secure it in place. Test the shift function.

Hi

Could someone help changed out impeller but now coupling nut dont meet threads when gears in reverse if I do get the threat the gears pull up into neutral so back to front

Remove the lower unit.

Put the lower unit into reverse gear by depressing down on the shift cam assembly.

Put the shift control lever into reverse.

Run the jam nut down on the lower unit shift cam assembly threads as low as it will go.

Run the coupling nut up on the shift rod threads as far as it will go.

Reinstall the lower unit onto the mid-section.

Run the coupling nut down so that it engages both the shift cam assembly threads and the shift rod threads equally.

While holding the coupling nut to prevent it from turning, run the jam nut up until it interfaces securely with the coupling nut.

Shift the lower unit into neutral. Start the motor and make sure that it shifts into and out of all gears and neutral.

Back