Logo

83 sailboat with Yanmar 18 hp.

Sweeney

The engine died and would not crank. Replace fuel filter. Fuel is not coming from the tank. This model does not have a manual pump on top of filter. Any ideas on how to narrow down the problem. Engine has been great for nearly 20 years.

The engine died and would not crank. Replace fuel filter. Fuel is not coming from the tank. This model does not have a manual pump on top of filter. Any ideas on how to narrow down the problem. Engine has been great for nearly 20 years.

Sounds as if you have a 2GM or 20 or 20 F Your fuel feed pump on the side of the engine will have a lever you can thumb push up and down, if you do not feel any resistance turn the engine one turn as the cam that runs the pump may be at its max travel and will not activate the fuel pumps diaphram when you pump the thumb lever. Does the engine tunr over at all when you hit the starter to start?
Bleed the fuel system and change the fuel filters if you have not done that in a while. Oh make sure you have fuel.
Happy sailing

Sounds as if you have a 2GM or 20 or 20 F Your fuel feed pump on the side of the engine will have a lever you can thumb push up and down, if you do not feel any resistance turn the engine one turn as the cam that runs the pump may be at its max travel and will not activate the fuel pumps diaphram when you pump the thumb lever. Does the engine tunr over at all when you hit the starter to start?
Bleed the fuel system and change the fuel filters if you have not done that in a while. Oh make sure you have fuel.
Happy sailing
It's an 18 hp. Engine turns over great. I will try your suggestion. I replaced the filter yesterday. Thanks for quick response.

It's an 18 hp. Engine turns over great. I will try your suggestion. I replaced the filter yesterday. Thanks for quick response.

There always is a pre- filter. That is a fuel/ water separator between your fuel supply and engine. Check that one also. When bleeding the system ie no air in fuel lines then try to start it.
The valves should be adjusted to .008 both cold.
Invest is a work shop manual, it had a lot of pictures and is a good buy and read for the layman. Enjoy..

Back