Logo

Need to replace Bravo Drive Shaft Housing

etiwandablues

I have a 96 Bravo III sterndrive with a big chunk of the cavitation plate broken off (thanks to the marina guys when pulling my boat). I want to replace the housing but I'm having trouble finding a replacement with the same part #. My casting # is 1589 8867 C5. I can find an older housing (1589 8867 C3) or a newer one from ~2002 (1589 864571 C01). I'd be inclined to use the newer one. Anybody have any info on this or know of any resources I could use to verify if the newer one is compatible? Thanks ...

Hi there, Before going through all that expense of replacing the upper drive shaft housing, Maybe you could find someone to weld up the damaged part of the housing? Are you planning on buying a housing with or without the gear assembly already installed? Here should be a helpful guide for your question in the meantime. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...GoWdJpvI16vfjosUKGh5QEw&bvm=bv.62922401,d.cGU
The front section of the cavitation plate completely snapped off and I think it's beyond repair. I'd like to find a salvage housing and use all my internals (gears, etc.). The salvage housings I've seen are $250-400, where a new one is ~$1500. Thanks for the link to the Service Bulletin, that info is in Service Manual No 11 which I have. It's good info but only covers ~96 vintage and older drives. I've been told that I can use a housing from an 02 drive (by the guy selling it) so I'm just trying to confirm that.

Back