Logo

New Crusaders, old Velvet Drives

captal

Contributing Member
Posted this in the transmission forum, got a lot of views but no replies. Thought I would throw it out to the Crusader guys since ya'll have always been such a great help in the past.
Doing a repower job on a Luhrs with twin 350ci Crusaders and 1.52to1 71C Velvet Drives. The boat was swamped and both the engines and VDs got full of saltwater. Replacing engines with new Crusader and going to rebuild the VDs but wondered what parts I would probably need. They ran fine with approx 500 hrs previous to getting wet. The rebuild kit comes with gaskets and clutches. If replacing clutches and a good cleaning and flushing will work, I'll do it myself. If I'm going to have a major parts replacement I'll probably hire it out. Or does anyone know a "good" VD rebuilder between Wilmington, NC and Myrtle Beach, SC? I would even ship to a good shop it they are reasonable.
Love to have some great advice from the guys here!! Thanks

Check with the dealer you are buying the engines from. When I repowered in 07 for an additional $800 each the engines came with rebuilt trans (same as yours)bolted up plumed & wired with new dampers. Everything had been test run. I "just" dropped them in. The trans cores went back on the truck that delivered the engines.
Good luck with the repower
Lou

If viable, Lou's recommendation sounds easiest.

If you rebuild the gears, you shouldn't need major parts...while it is apart, the other thing to inspect well are the bearings and they are likely to be in similar shape throughout....

finally, get new gear oil coolers and hoses if rebuilding the gears - false economy to go cheap there..

Got a call in to the engine dealer. He's getting me up a price for a couple rebuilds already attached. Thanks a bunch guys! I knew ya'll would come through!!

Back