Logo

Tohatsu/Nissan 2005 30 horse 4 stroke power problems

Isaac Fachner

Please help.
bought this motor and brought it to a mechanic he serviced it. Motor sat for 5 months after service.
Put the motor in the water and started and idled perfect but would not rev up past 1/4 throttle under power. Longer I used it at 1/4 throttle seemed to lose power. Brought to same mechanic he cleaned carbs on motor did not remove. 2 candy time in water start and idle good would not rev past 1/2 throttle and again seemed to slow after use. Fuel is new.
In neutral revs 100%.
Isaac

What is your actual precise model/serial? In 2005, one would expect that you may have a 30B, which is an EFI motor.

If you instead have the 30A, which has 3 carbs, odds are the carbs need a proper cleaning. Proper cleaning cannot be done without pulling the carbs. That means pulling the carbs and intake as a unit, removing and completely disassembling the carbs (including emulsion tube nozzles and jets, etc.), and then a 4-hour soak in real carb dip, followed by a liberal spray-out with generic carb spray (you may well need more than one can for doing 3 carbs)... then a careful reassembly, paying close attention to float height. When reinstalling, verify synchronization.

Throttling up in neutral as a test is bad. Firstly, it does not test the motor under load, so results are meaningless... Secondly, since the motor is not under load, you risk serious internal damage to the motor.

Please help.
bought this motor and brought it to a mechanic he serviced it. Motor sat for 5 months after service.
Put the motor in the water and started and idled perfect but would not rev up past 1/4 throttle under power. Longer I used it at 1/4 throttle seemed to lose power. Brought to same mechanic he cleaned carbs on motor did not remove. 2 candy time in water start and idle good would not rev past 1/2 throttle and again seemed to slow after use. Fuel is new.
In neutral revs 100%.
Isaac

I live in Costa Rica and cannot locate any solvent. Is there a substitute like acetone?
Should I remove all rubber and seal from carb?

I live in Costa Rica and cannot locate any solvent. Is there a substitute like acetone?
Should I remove all rubber and seal from carb?

thanks for your help.

As I noted originally, you must remove the carbs, and disassemble them. Everything aside from the rubber bits must be soaked in an appropriate solvent. Acetone or MEK might work, but it will take a lot longer soak time, which might damage any plastic bits. When reassembling them, verify float height. When reinstalling, verify synchronization. A competent marine mechanic should be able to help.

Your closest dealer is:
POLARIS MOTOR DE CENTROAMERICA S. A.
Centro, Hospital Nacional de Ninos 200 Metros Norte,
San Jose, Costa Rica
TEL: (506) 2258-3636
Email: [email protected]
URL: http://tohatsucr.com/

Back