Logo

1985 Evinrude 140 HP Cracked Block Repair or Replace

C

Chris in Canada

" I have a 1985 Evinrude 140 H

" I have a 1985 Evinrude 140 HP with a cracked block. The crack is at the lowest rear part of the left cylinder bank between the water passageway and the OUTSIDE of the block (NOT through the cylinder). The cylinders themselves appear to be fine. Lower Unit is in good shape too. Engine runs well, just leaking water out this crack - I thought it was just a leaky head gasket....
Is this a common problem ??
If I repair this crack, is it reasonable to assume that the engine should operate normally and reliably into the future ?
Is it smarter to replace the block ?
Is is smarter to replace the entire engine ?

Looking for some experienced guidance !!!!
Thanks in advance,
Chris in Canada. "

why dont you try t jb-weld th

why dont you try t jb-weld that crack and see if it does the job

" I agree, I have seen JB Wel

" I agree, I have seen JB Weld do some pretty incredible patch jobs. "

"Chris.... I have JB Weld hang

"Chris.... I have JB Weld hanging on the peg board in the shop but haven't experimented with it yet. I have however used (Gray) "Marine Tex" to patch some rather huge aluminum cracks with great success. I can vouch for the Marine Tex (Gray, not White), and I have heard many good things about JB Weld. I would think that either product would cure your problem. Good Luck.......

Joe
"

" My .02 is that JB weld, or a

" My .02 is that JB weld, or any other epoxy could work, but isn't anything incredible, it's just good glue mixed with a filler. For a real fix, I would look into having it actually welded; a small weld like that won't cost you much and will be permanent. Just make sure whoever does it is not some hack; a good welder can cut a soda can in half and put it back together leak-proof, ask whoever does it about that. If he/she tells you it's not possible, don't let him/her near your engine. For a temporary cure on an engine that can break and not endanger anyone, I'd give the JB weld a shot. But, for the $50 it will probably cost you, on an engine that is very sound otherwise, there's no sense messing around.

Jon "

Back