Logo

3.0 has no spark

timeforfun

i am brand new to boats and trying to get this boat i bought for the family to enjoy this summer running again..

It is a 1984 Invader 17ft with a 3.0 mercruiser. It has been siting for 2 yrs.
The owner told me that it was running great until it started to sputter on lake and then died. They said they could get it started by feeding it fuel
through a funnel but would only idle, when they gave it throttle it would shut down.

It also does not have spark now.

I am guessing that i need to put something in gas tank to dry water in gas and add good gas, replace plugs and plug wires, maybe replace points and coil. I am guessing the fact that it was sputtering before dying it could have been coil dying or crap in fuel line or fuel pump.

I would be appreciative to any advice you could give on where to start--what to check.. I will be starting to work on the boat this weekend. I will try to get a repair manual for engine to help the process for me. I know a little about car mechanics so i think i can get this running with some help from the experts.

Thank you

Points, filter in carb, run it off an aux gas tank. I'm sure the experts will tell you the correct procedure, but I would check the points first, turn key open points you should have a spark there. Points, condensor, cap, rotor , plugs, wires is less than $100 bucks for all that

A compression test is a good start. Give it a tuneup per floatin radio. Verify the distributor advance is working. Drain the 2+ yr old gas from the tank. Rebuild the carb, verify the fuel pump is working...change the filter in the pump and ck the transparent hose between the pump and carb for fuel...if fuel is there the pump diaphragm is shot. Drain & pressure test the OD, ck OD alignment, inspect all bellows for wear.

A compression test is a good start. Give it a tuneup per floatin radio. Verify the distributor advance is working. Drain the 2+ yr old gas from the tank. Rebuild the carb, verify the fuel pump is working...change the filter in the pump and ck the transparent hose between the pump and carb for fuel...if fuel is there the pump diaphragm is shot. Drain & pressure test the OD, ck OD alignment, inspect all bellows for wear.

I appreciate the advice and will try my best, never worked on a boat and hope some of those suggestions are fairly easy to do.

Back