Logo

2002 90 hp honda outboard control cable adjustment

welderwade

hi everyone just getting on board... can someone tell me how to setup my adjustment on control cables to shifter and motor. thanks wade

Connect both control cables to the shifter first. When you connect to the motor, make sure the motor and the shifter are in neutral.

Throttle cable....adjust the throttle lever, so that the mark on the lever on the bottom carburetor is centered on the roller in the opening of the lever. Then adjust the throttle cable to have the throttle cable connector just fit into the inside hole of the throttle lever on the port side of the engine. Do not put it in the hole at the end of the lever (you will not get full throttle).

Shift cable.....just adjust cable end to the hole in the shift lever. The manual says to preload it (I think to reverse), but the best way to finalize adjustment is to shift the motor in and out of forward and reverse and watch how the detent (#5) on the front of the engine falls into place in its groove. It should center coming out of forward and coming out of reverse. You may have to make a couple of subtle adjustments to get it. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF90A2 LRTA /SHIFT SHAFT/parts.html

Make sure someone is turning the prop when trying to shift, otherwise, the clutchdog and gears will not engage properly.

Check for full throttle by seeing if the throttle lever on the engine goes up against the stop and that the roller on the lever on the bottom carburetor travels all the way to the top of the lever opening.

Be sure to install the two washers (#25) on both the throttle and shift cable pivots.

That is a short and sweet version.

Mike

Back