Logo

Need advice on buying 2003 Honda BF225's with 1250 hours

5satins

Hi everyone, I am 5satins and learned about this site from "other line" from the Hull Truth Forum.
I am 66 and have owned 10-15 boats and have boated 50 years and fairly mechanically inclined but
nowadays with all the electronics that isn't as important.
I am looking to buy a boat that has twin 2003 HONDA BF225s. In the outboard world I only know Mercs because my best friend is a Merc mechanic. Hard to find the boat I want with 2004 or newer optis or "real
Merc verados.
I know nothing about these Hondas except that recently it seems Hondas , Yammis and other 4 strokes have a corrosion issue. I believe that may affect these engines but I do not have serial #s right now.
The whole rig is a good buy but could become a money pit with problem engines. I plan to remove thermostats and inspect.
Compression from 1 season ago : 230-215-225-210-200-230 and 230-215-225-210-220-235
I would greatly appreciate any advice on hours, corrosion, compression or other problems.
It seems all outboards are now starting to show problems---should I still try to find Mercs because I will pay dealer cost for parts and a few kegs of beer for labor?
I know you guys will give me great advice and thanks for the time to tell me.
5satins

How many hours on engines ? Have service bulletins been completed is #54 new pipes. Suggest doing search and do good read on issues on Honda 225 .. with that said my twins 2202 have 2200 hrs on each still pouring great love mine but have had since new and do all the maintence regularly. Do search then ask away

About 1.5 years ago I put together a list of issues on these 200's & 225's. It's in Excel and I can't seem to post it on this site. So send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you a copy. I'll also send you a copy of Service Bulletin #56 which addresses faulty exhaust tubes that allow water to back up into the exhaust and blow the HO2 sensor. Many engines had those tubes replaced under warranty. That is something you definitely want to check out with the seller. Alternatively you can contact Honda in Atlanta and they should be able to tell you.

chawk_man
That would be great. There is always help available to fellow boaters and you are an example of one of those people that take the time (which none of us has enough of) to help another boater out, that is what makes the boating community so great. Now get on a plane and go kick some Putin ass if he does not follow your advice.
I am pm you my email.
thanks a lot,
5satins

Back