Logo

Starter for 318 chrysler engine

dartdog

I have a 1971 penn yan inboard with a 318 Chrysler engine, and I need a starter for it. My problem is that I don't know the year of the engine.The starter does not have a cylinoid on it.It's a two bolt mount, 12 1/2 inches long, with one elec. post on it. I'm pretty sure the engine is in the 1970's region, and would like to know if the starters are basically the same for that period.And if anybody out there would have one? I would sure appreciate some input.

If no solenoid, it's an old Bendix drive motor.
Treat your engine to a HTGR/PMGR motor, and enjoy better starts with less Amp draw!

Chrysler pioneered the automotive gear reduction starter motor!

Most Marine starter motors that you'll find these days (as OEM equipment), will be high torque gear reduction/permanent magnet gear reduction!
Whether I/O or I/B!

You can get it rebuilt. SHip it to this guy and he'll make it brand new (and for a reasonable price). Dealt with him several times with complete satisfaction.

Park Manor Sales and Service
915 Greenleaf St. (near 9th)
Allentown, PA 18102-1473
610-770-9488

Jeff

You can get it rebuilt. SHip it to this guy and he'll make it brand new (and for a reasonable price). Dealt with him several times with complete satisfaction.
And at the end of the day....... he'll still have an outdated Bendix drive non-reduction starter motor!

I had mune rebuilt it works fine. Yes a Gear reduction starter would be nice but unnecessary. I also dont know of a sours for a BOLT IN no modification gear reduction starter that works with these chryslers.

A non-gear reduction Bendex style starter motor relies on quick/fast torque to kick the Bendex drive pinion gear into the flywheel ring gear.
Should we encounter a week cranking battery, often the Bendix motors will not engage.
The Bendix motor engine cranking RPM is limited to the pinion gear/ring gear reduction, and the Armature RPM.

Conversely, a HTGR/PMGR motor armature spins approximately 3x's faster, and via the reduction, spins the engine crankshaft at a slightly higher rpm!
This usually results in faster starts, and less battery Amp draw.

As said earlier, the Chrysler company pioneered the V8 gear reduction starter motor, and did so in the 1950's.

Your call........ But I'd certainly suggest the HTGR/PMGR motor.

Last edited:
as stated. I am not aware of a bolt in marine HTGR/PMGR starter for our chrysler inboard applications. I know there is one for the chrysler/volvo I/O applications. If you know of one, I would be happy to see it and maybe even try it.

will

as stated. I am not aware of a bolt in marine HTGR/PMGR starter for our Chrysler inboard applications. I know there is one for the chrysler/volvo I/O applications. If you know of one, I would be happy to see it and maybe even try it.

will

Will, I believe that these have been around for years.

http://m.rakuten.com/product/234732287?listingID=229833535

In post #15 here, I show a second style forward facing inboard HTGR starter motor
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?402361-Chrysler-318-360-Marine-Inboard-Starter

The Chrysler Inboard will be using the forward facing style motor...... Correct?
I.E., the style motor that bolts on from behind the flywheel....... typically to the Borg Warner flywheel cover.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=331003189317

Last edited:
It looks like those would bolt on. Have you ever ordered from rakuten?? Ive never heard of or seen that starter before. I honestly think I will just keep my old fashioned bendix starters.

will

Hi
i have been using these high speed starters for years. I could not find a good side view but here is a shot that shows it from the front on a 383 I sent to Sweden. These work great. Contact Rare Electrical in Florida, that's where I get them. They have them in both rotations. These will use the original 172 tooth ring gear that was on these old engines. the ring gear is available from Auto Zone, just look up a 1965 Plymouth with a standard trans. they are about $25
not worth screwing with those old 1958 starters any more.

I had mine rebuilt 3 years ago, now it starts at a touch of the key, more than satisfied. It definitely draws less amps than before the rebuild. Do it!

Back