Logo

replacing a mercruiser 260 with a 5.0

mtg

I have a 83' Sea Ray with a Mercruiser 260 and an Alpha outdrive and want to replace the engine with a 2002 Mercruiser 5.0 Engine. The engine I want to put in had a Bravo 2 outdrive. What type of issues would I run into if I tried to do this. Do I have to replace my Alpha outdrive with a Bravo outdrive? Will I have an issue with the shaft lining up with the engine?

As far as using a bravo vs a alpha no issues. The differences from what I know is only the transom assembly not the motor.

There may be a issue with the transom motor mount design on the 2002 vs the 1983 Not sure if there is a difference. But if your flywheel housing bolts up to the 305 then there should be no issues what so ever. The 2002 should also have the newer style coupler so all needed is alignment.

I have never done this change so maybe someone who may have will also chime in.

Thanks for the reply. I will probably give it a shot and see what happens. I don't know much about putting an engine in so I'm sure it will go flawlessly.

Even if the 5.0 is 260 HP, its CID displacement that turns props... on a small light runabout you may get away with it, but if the boat has much cabin, etc, you won't be happy. Larger CID engines allow you, for a given HP, boat speed and hull, to run at lower engine RPMs with larger props. This usually results in better engine life and fuel economy. If your engine is sized so that you are satisfied to run around all day at less that 80% ( or even better 75%) of max revs @ wide open throttle, your boating experience overall will improve.

Back