Logo

5.7 starter motor issues

Beany_bot

Hi, I have a problem with my starter. When I turn the ignition I hear a solenoid click and I even hear the starter motor whirring but it's not engaging the engine. Is there a few simple things I can try to free it up before I go about removing it? Thanks

Being that this is a 1991, it is likely a solenoid/lever arm/kick-out Pinion Drive starter motor.
If it spins when engaged, there would be two possible scenarios:

1.... The pinion gear has become damaged

2.... The flywheel ring gear has become damaged

Try rotating the crankshaft over by 15° or 20° as to place a new area of the ring gear into alignment with the starter motor pinion gear.
If the starter motor now engages, you likely have some damaged teeth on the ring gear.

Last edited:
Hi, I have a problem with my starter. When I turn the ignition I hear a solenoid click and I even hear the starter motor whirring but it's not engaging the engine. Is there a few simple things I can try to free it up before I go about removing it? Thanks

Nope,... Not really,..... Pull it off, 'n Bench test it,....

Are the wires, 'n wire ends, Clean, 'n corrosion free,..??

To the OP here.
When you say that the starter motor is "whirring", are you suggesting that the armature is spinning?
If yes...... then the solenoid's contacts are indeed closing, and the armature is spinning.
The solenoid's first task, is to kick the pinion gear out into the ring gear.
Only then will the main contacts close.

What's then lacking, would be pinion gear to ring gear engagement!

Last edited:
Panic over! I belted it with a hammer a few times and its sorted itself. Working nicely now. Another plus is the engine is running sweet. Bring on summer!

If you needed to strike the motor in order to make it work, you have some corrosion at/on the brushes and commutator.
You had better pull it apart and exam things!

Just what you need when you are out in the middle...an engine you start with a hammer. Here's how it would go for me: finally get SO out on boat after spending so much time getting it "fixed". Hit starter with hammer to get it going while SO is occupied with other stuff. Spend the afternoon bobbing around when it finally becomes time to head in. Click, whirrr. Click, whirrr. Hm don't worry babe I just need to whack the starter with a hammer (does). Click, whirrr. Click, whirrr.....

Lesson: Spend the time/money to be sure that your sh_t works.

Back