Logo

carb fit

redsnapper386

Regular Contributor
guys,i am considering swaping my carb from a roch 4 bbl quad jet to a edelbrock 1409.now i know i have to use an adapter plate with the edelbrock sqare bore to spread bore.i am wondering if this is an acceptable way to go using the adapter plate.this saves a lot of dollars compared to buying and changeing intake.could there be any possible issues using the adapter.i have had a lot of issues with my q-jet.i have 2 . 1 new,1 rebuilt.in rough water they have accually flooded out on me.i have had them both in repair shops with no results.any input and thanks in advance.

guys,i am considering swaping my carb from a roch 4 bbl quad jet to a edelbrock 1409.now i know i have to use an adapter plate with the edelbrock sqare bore to spread bore.i am wondering if this is an acceptable way to go using the adapter plate.this saves a lot of dollars compared to buying and changeing intake.could there be any possible issues using the adapter.i have had a lot of issues with my q-jet.i have 2 . 1 new,1 rebuilt.in rough water they have accually flooded out on me.i have had them both in repair shops with no results.any input and thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... The Edlebrock carbs are multi-base carbs, 'n should drop on, 'n bolt down, Without an adapter,...

'n the 1409 is in fact a semi-spread-bore,...
The 1410 has 4 equal barrels, the forward 2 on the 1409 are smaller than the aft barrels,...

for what it's worth.....the spreadbore carb will give you way more low end throttle response and torque than the 1409 ever will. the 1409 is a good carb, but there is a reason why the factory intentionally chose not to use it. the 1409 is a good, "general" service carb, but the spreadbore with the smaller throttle plates in the primary, it will give you crisper throttle response, and better fuel economy. another option....buy a holley spreadbore.....

for what it's worth.....the spreadbore carb will give you way more low end throttle response and torque than the 1409 ever will. the 1409 is a good carb, but there is a reason why the factory intentionally chose not to use it. the 1409 is a good, "general" service carb, but the spreadbore with the smaller throttle plates in the primary, it will give you crisper throttle response, and better fuel economy. another option....buy a holley spreadbore.....
thanks guys for all input,will think on this a few days.

Ayuh,.... Have you ever flipped a 1409 upside-down, 'n Looked at it,..??

It has tiny primaries, 'n big secondaries,... Aka: a Spread-bore carb.....

Have ya seen the Merc/ Weber carb that Merc has been usin' since the early '90s,..??
It's a carbon copy of the 1409,...
Even the parts for 1, fits the other,... Aka: Both are carbon copies of each other,...
Both are based on the Carter AFB,... Aka: Carter Clones,....

Yer claims are Completely False,....

Ayuh,.... Have you ever flipped a 1409 upside-down, 'n Looked at it,..??

It has tiny primaries, 'n big secondaries,... Aka: a Spread-bore carb.....

Have ya seen the Merc/ Weber carb that Merc has been usin' since the early '90s,..??
It's a carbon copy of the 1409,...
Even the parts for 1, fits the other,... Aka: Both are carbon copies of each other,...
Both are based on the Carter AFB,... Aka: Carter Clones,....

Yer claims are Completely False,....
Any Grease is Better,... Than No grease at All....

THE 1409 DOES NOT HAVE THE SAME CONFIGURATION AS THE SPREADBORE. AS PREVIOUSLY STATED, I AM 100 % ACCURATE AND CORRECT....

Back