Logo

289 chat...

bazza57

Hi, I'm new to fords and this forum so please bear with me.
I own an elderly boat with a 289 V8 powering a Volve stern drive.
The fuel pump is the original car type and I'd like to improve the safety by installing a marine style pump but I don't know what to ask for or from whom.
My research has found that Mercruiser and maybe others used the small block Fords at some stage so I imagine I could buy one of these pumps and fit it...is there a more economical option than buying a big name brand?

Regards Barry

Barry, I'm not certain if Volvo Penta used the 289 V-8.
The 5.0 and 5.8 were very common for several years.
Take a look at what Michiganmotors has to offer.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/mechanical-fuel-pump-ford-p-1213.html

Here's another one.

http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/CARM60389/ALL4C

If this is a 289, I would double check the interchangeability between the 5.0 and 5.8 and 289.
These are listed as fitting the 5.0 and 5.8...... no mention of the 289.

Barry.... an unsolicited word of advice for you.

The shaft that joins the engine drive coupler to the Volvo Penta transmission universal shaft, is a PDS.
PDS = primary drive shaft.

The Ford engine flywheel covers were typically fit with a single bearing PDS.
If you were to lose this bearing, very expensive damage may occur.

Point being made........ pull the PDS and replace this bearing before you have a failure!

Last edited:
Thanks for that Rick...off the top of my head, is the 5.0 the 302 and the 5.8 the 351?
Been thinking of taking out the engine anyway as the oil pan is very rusty and I don't want to be over the horizon oneday and have it rust through, dumping all the oil into the bilge.
Without seeing the setup, can you guess if the whole of the stern leg has to come off the back of the boat in order to get the motor out...I can see the heads of lots of inaccessible bolts back there!...or might the PDS be the only coupling between engine and Leg and just slide apart ? Barry.

Correct on the 5.0 and 5.8!

You may have a 2 pc flywheel cover/PDS adapter housing. Post a few photos and I can tell you what you have.

Either way, the engine can be separated at the flywheel cover, leaving the flywheel cover attached to the transom shield.
The PDS can be removed with the transmission only out of your way.

Last edited:
...thanks for that, i'll see if i can master the black art of adding a couple of photos....also, apoligies to the Interceptor folk, I've done some research now and know all about the FE and "want" one...once this threads finished I'll go to the "Other Inboard/Outboard" section, I just saw the word Ford and thought there must be like minded people on there. Barry.

Hard to get nice pics as I could only poke the camera under the transom, hope and shoot...

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 47
This is the 1st time I've had a good look back here Rick...as i see it the bell housinghas been shortened and a plate welded onto it, this new plate has the front Volvo bit bolted onto it.
This front Volvo bit fits inside the next Volvo bit and there appears to be a thick rubber ring between the two...would I be correct in guessing that this rubber ring is the seal at which point the Ford bit and the Volvo bit would pull apart? Barry.

Barry, you have what appears to be a Ford engine bell housing that has been modified to become a Borg Warner pattern "flywheel cover". (bell housing is an automotive term)
I cannot explain why anyone would go to this trouble, when the Borg Warner units are so readily accessible.

The unit that houses the PDS, is a Volvo Penta part...... also using the Borg Warner bolt pattern.
This unit is known as a Borg Warner/Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing.

This PDS is a double bearing PDS!
You must have access to both the forward section and the aft section, in order to remove and replace the bearings.

These will be industry-standard open bearings and industry standard seals.
When you are ready, I can give you the part numbers (although they should be visible on each part)!
You will also need a slightly modified long needle nose pliers.

Last edited:
...cheers Ricko, I'm learning a lot!
I guess the guy who did this must have had the time and skill and not much dough or just liked building stuff, or the B.W. parts were hard to get here way back then.
Just to clarify...the B.W./ V.P. adaptor housing you speak of...is this the piece that bolts to the "flywheel cover" (see I'm learning)
...you use an exclaimation mark when you say "this PDS is a double bearing PDS!" I take it that is a good thing?
..."access to both the foward and aft section..." I take it this means both engine and sterndrive removal ?...

I have to say, I'm enjoying searching this forum...regards Barry.

Barry, Borg Warner has been around for years and years in the marine industry.

http://www.google.com/search?client....1c.1.35.mobile-gws-serp..6.2.738.zT91ex9jyAE

Anything from transmissions, to flywheel covers, driveshaft components, etc.

The Ford V-8 engine could be found in front of a Volvo Penta drive using either the 1 pc flywheel cover, or the 2 pc BW style.
The BW FC could be used with the Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing......, or it could be with the Holman Moody, Donzi, Eaton, etc.
You happen to have the 2 bearing VP PDS adapter housing.

Very similar bearing position as with this style.

imagejpeg

Last edited:
Back