Logo

F2.5 on a sailboat....stalls out

whitegreg56

Regular Contributor
When you're sailing along and decide you want to add power, it starts right up and idles fine.
If the throttle is opened up before the engine is warm (takes several minutes), it stalls out.
In general, when the decision to add power is made, a wait of several minutes is unacceptable.
Would it help to run at half-choke during this period? Or, will that damage the engine?
The engine is in storage now.....otherwise, I might try that once. Any thoughts on this problem??

Year / model of this motor ?---------Doubt you use a lot of fuel.------How old is fuel ?--------Do you leave fuel in carburetor when not in use ?

It was manufactured in 04/2008. Model is F2.5MSH. Serial 69M1050260.

There is nothing wrong with the motor or the fuel....it's entirely normal for
this engine to stall if the throttle is opened suddenly during the warm up period (several minutes).

The question is, can I get around it somehow......or, should I purchase a different make/model engine?

Last edited:
From the owners manual....."For approximately the first 5 minutes after starting, warm up the engine by operating at one fifth throttle or less."

Reading between the lines.....if you open the throttle by more than one fifth the engine will stall.
Ask anyone that has one and they will tell you about it. I'm not sure I would recommend this engine
to anyone who is planning to put it on a sailboat.

Let me ask this question.....does anyone know if the small 4-stroke
Mercury, Honda, and Tohatsu engines have the same problem????

Back