Logo

40 hp Yanaha - convert to tiller?

BigBand

So, my very first post here is to ask for help.

I'm looking at a purchase of a 1995 40 hp Yamaha, model C40PLRT.

Problem is I need it to be tiller steering. I'm told that for just the
tiller conversion, I need to buy 6R6-W0084-02-4D, which if I can't find
one used is going to run me around $190.00.

But, I'm more concerned with electrical things, like ignition switch,
electric start switch, electric choke, and trim/tilt switch.

Is it realistic to make this conversion, and have the final product look
'factory'? Are used parts available anywhere that someone could recommend?

Well, heck, I went ahead and bought it! Looks in real good condition, with strong compression.

I'm still looking for the tiller handle - Yamaha parts seem to be v e r y hard to come by.

Also need an electrical diagram showing the connections to the main harness. I'm planning
to rig up a small electrical panel that will have switches that connect to the motor.
I've found a used 10 pin connector that plugs into the motor, but I need to know
which wires go where?

hey big band, i too currently purchased the same exact motor to put on my 14 foot jon and needed to put a tiller on it. i contacted boats.net and gave them my model number(c40plrt) and they directed me to the 6x4-42103-53-00 tiller handle and 6x4-42102-61-00 tiller fitting kit. I havent had a chance to put them on yet, but this tiller has all the bells and whistles. It is extremely pricey though. Tiller plus fitting kit costed me $548.

Yikes! That's a bunch of money!

For mine, the Yamaha parts book says to use 6R6-W0084-02-4D, which I found for $189.28. Just has the twist throttle, no shift, but I can always shift it manually using the lever on the side.

I looked up your part number, and Yamaha says it's for 2006 and up. If you indeed have the exact model number motor, the 'T' indicates 1995.

BTW, a 40 horse motor on a 14' jon should really fly! :eek:

hey BigBand, i too currently purchased the same exact motor to put on my 14 foot jon and needed to put a tiller on it. i contacted boats.net and gave them my model number(c40plrt) and they directed me to the 6x4-42103-53-00 tiller handle and 6x4-42102-61-00 tiller fitting kit. I havent had a chance to put them on yet, but this tiller has all the bells and whistles. It is extremely pricey though. Tiller plus fitting kit costed me $548.

Back