Logo

Force 125hp 1992 could not change revs!

baconbeastnz

Hi Guys, today we were knee boarding and when a 100kg guy went behind the boat, it strained the motor, and the motor had a big incident.

1. The throttle could no longer be changed at all as it was driving around at 10knts, we had to turn it off while it was going.
2. It then didn't start for awhile
3. We managed to get it starting, but it was idling very high despite the throttle being in neutral, lowest rev's position.

Before all this happened, there was already something very wrong with the engine, it was only giving us 50% power and idling rough at low revs, as though a cylinder or something was not running, so perhaps we strained it too much.

What could have happened?
What should I do?

The service from 3 months ago, says that the engine had a bad gearbox.

"Before all this happened, there was already something very wrong with the engine, it was only giving us 50% power and idling rough at low revs, as though a cylinder or something was not running, so perhaps we strained it too much."

If you knew something was wrong, why would you keep using the engine?

From what you've posted here, I'd recommend you take it to a professional for evaluation.

Ok looks like I might be in luck, looks like the prior "cylinder" issue may just be because the thread on the connection where the throttle cable meets the engine was soooo loose that it popped off yesterday so i might in luck! The two issues may be related

Do a compression test.
That ok?
Then check: the fuel pump diaphram,the carbs for dirt,timing.
Also the gear oil for water,metal chunks.
Since your taking about a 100kg guy, I'm guessing you probably not in the US.
Fill out the profile,location.
There are a lot of guys in Au. running the Force/Chrysler motors.
Some are pretty good at fixing them.

my 2 cents,
compression test on all cylinders is great place to start,
could be you've put your plugs leads on the wrong spark plugs(stuffing up the firing order) on chrysler 140hp(4cylinder) its from the top to 1,3,2,4 the bottom
easy way to tell if one of your pistons is seased is to do compression test first see which isnt at same psi as other cylinders, then you take off your spark plugs put a screw driver in cylinder where spark plug gose and turn flywheel by hand clockwise and see if it cycles, do this for all pistons and see which one isnt moving, thats what i do with my chrysler, then you have the joys of pulling the motor down and fixing problem. or if you have mechanic friend who know's whats he's on about get him to help or pay marine mechanic to fix it. any boat shop has one.

good luck.

Back