Logo

9.8 Tohatsu Making oil... Help!!!!!

q9272678

I have a 9.8 4 stroke Tohatsu and I'm getting a significant amount of gas in the oil and obviously not running well....
I am in the out islands on the Bahamas with limited resources.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Frank

1. Don't overfill the crankcase, not even a drop. If the motor rings have not seated yet, only fill to 1/2 or 3/4 on the dipstick.
2. Don't run synthetic oil. 10w-30 or 40 type FC-W organic "dinosaur" oil is what you want.
3. Don't do a lot of cold, low-speed running. Run it hot and hard for at least 10 or 20 hours, and the rings should seat fine.
4. Make sure the carb is not flooding or over-choked, which could allow raw fuel into the crankcase.
5. If you must lay the motor on its side, lay it only on the correct side, or both fuel and oil can go where they shouldn't.

Thanks Paul,

i drained the oil (more gas than oil. It was actually blowing gas/oil) out of the vent hose into the breather) refilled with oil up to the bottom of the dip stick. After several short runs it was back to half full and smells like gas! It will run ok for a short period and then die.

Could it be the fuel pump?

Frank

Sure could be. Grab a #3 phillips and pull the pump. Reconnect it to the gas line, and prime the bulb. You will likely see tons of gas coming out at the push rod. If so, and you feel capable, you can change 3H6040050M DIAPHRAGM $27.60, or replace the 3H6040007M FUEL PUMP, 4/5/6/8/9.8 4-STR ONLY $60.83. Because of labor costs, in the shop, we usually just do the whole pump, as well as 3H6074220M O-RING $1.26. We do have parts on the shelf. Problem is that postage to the Bahamas will be pricey.... about $25.00 and 6-10 business days by USPS Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box. Your other option for a dealer would be Company Master Marine & Cycle, Bay Street, PO Box AB20229, Ma Baham, Phone 242-367-4760.

In the future, be sure to disconnect the gas line at the end of the day to avoid over-pressurizing the fuel system from solar heat/expansion. Also, run the carb dry at the end of the day (unless you will be running again tomorrow), so you reduct carb varnishing.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a fuel pump and o-ring in stock. I will be in the office tomorrow, and can ship to you via the Post Office.

My office email is [email protected]
and the phone is 716-877-8221

Back