Logo

aq145a clicking starter relay

sprogg&fin

was running my engine the day prior with no problems and today the starter relay is clicking and nothing else , does the relay need replacing or maybe another cause for this . Thank you in advance for any help

Check the voltage across the battery itself when you try to start it. If its much below 10V could just be a simple as a low battery. If volts are OK there, then "follow" the voltage out towards the starter and "see" where you loose it.

Hi, I had a similar issue recently where the engine was running. I gave it a few revs and then something clicked near the starter relay. After another rev, the engine died and now the engine won’t even crank with the turn of the key. Any suggestions?

was running my engine the day prior with no problems and today the starter relay is clicking and nothing else , does the relay need replacing or maybe another cause for this . Thank you in advance for any help

If battery voltage is OK, check the continuity at the relay.
If continuity is OK, you may have an issue right at the starter motor itself.

Gently tap on the starter motor housing while you have a helper turn the key to the start position.
If the starter motor turns, you likely have an issue with the brushes and/or the commutator.

If you end up replacing the starter motor, I would NOT go back together with the OEM style.
Find a HTGR/PMGR unit similar to this unit.
These spin the armature approx 3 X's faster, and consume less Amps.

.....mmm if I understand your sequence of events correctly, it sounds as if the starter motor engaged WHILE the engine was running ??? Likely stalled the motor and jammed the starter.

Back