Logo

cross threaded spark plug hole 1973 Johnson 9.5 model#9R73B

fish_guru

Ok so I really hope that this didn't screw all my hard work up, but I was attempting to do a compression test on my Johnson that I just re-built. I put in the compression tester and pulled the cord and the cylinder head hit the fitting and it would not back out without tearing threads back out with it. I really hope there's a solution to this because I've put a lot of time and money into this to have to trash it. I know that they have kits for minor re threads for cars but I don't know for boats. please help I need to know what my options might be, Thanks all

The stainless steel 14mm Heli Coils which is what you need comes in two lengths... 3/8" and 1/2". That model engine would take the 3/8" one.

I assume the head gasket installed is a new one... if so, it can be reused.

I'd strongly suggest removing the cylinder head, then take it to a reliable machine shop to have the heli coil professionally installed UNLESS you're experience in that line of repair.

A word of advice... anytime you screw something into a spark plug hole, turn the flywheel over slowly by hand to make sure it doesn't protrude too far in.

Back