Logo

frozen steering cable on BF130

Hubes

How do I replace frozen(stuck) steering cable on BF130? Motor is stuck with the ram inside. Do I have to remove the linkage from under the motor? Any help please.

Have you determined if the cable is frozen itself or if it is frozen inside the engine steering tube?

Easy way to check would be to totally loosen the big nut at the end of the steering cable, where it attaches to the engine. Then turn the steering wheel clockwise. If the cable is frozen in itself, then nothing will move. If the cable is ok, but it is frozen inside the steering tube, then the cable and the nut will push away from the engine.

If the cable is stuck in itself and not the engine, then just disconnect the end of the steering cable from the steering linkage (#21) by removing nut (#38) http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H...A3 LA /STERN BRACKET + SWIVEL CASE/parts.html

To pull it completely out of the engine, you may have to unbolt the engine from the boat if you can not pull it straight out. You could cut it off with a wiz wheel, but you may still have to unbolt the engine to install the new cable.

I hope that answers your question.

Mike

Sorry it took so long to respond. It turns out it was the center shaft that was frozen up. It needed to be heated up with a torch and worked free. The mechanic was able to free it it up and lubricated it along with the steering tube. I would have had to unbolt the engine like you said, which I had no means of doing so. Thank you to all that posted the replies.

Mark

Back