Logo

save my old searay

1 have a 1972 searay that been in our family for 38 years . last summer we lost the out drive , a mercruiser 165/ 250 chev. water seals and broken gears . can it be swapped to another merc out drive that easier to get? maybe a different ratio and a change of props? i priced new drives and just don't know about put this much money into it . any ideas?

165 inline six cyl. Your gear ratio is 1.65 : 1

V8 gear ratio is 1;50: 1

V6 and 470 merc inline 4 cycl gear ratio is 1:84 :1

inline 4 cycl gear ration is 1:98 :1

One of the issues you face is the age of the whole assembly.

Craigslist is a good source for old and new boat parts.

The drive can be rebiult if you want to spend the money.

That drive a 1972 is probably a 1 drive and a I drive would also be a direct replacement. Not sure you can go up to a Alpha 1 gen 1 for this.
Not much out there for direct replacements......

maybe someone here may have some OLD stuff lying around.

Do some research on the internet for a replacement outdrive.

If you could find a V8 drive ration drive that might be the closest ration and require less major of a prop pitch change.

If you MUST keep the boat I would suggest replacing the entire transom assembly with a newer version (alpha 1 gen 1 vintage) and finding the whole package with the drive. Then parts are readily available.......

First things first....
As you can see from my signature block, I have an even older boat that I've restored. If you love the boat and the HULL is in good shape, then by all means, put the money in it knowing you will never get it back! The transom in the vicinity of the transom shield should be checked for delamination before going forward. small amounts are fixable as are total delams. its just $$$$$. You need to check the stringers under the deck for dry rot as well. Last thing you want to do is put $$$ into the drive train and then have the rest of the boat turn into a money pit.

the hull is strong , the motor runs good, floor and seats were repalced a few years back . the gimble bearing was done five years back. it has a easy loader trailer in good shape. i need to get a shift cable and out drive to
put it back together.

i saw and 188 out drive for a $350. but didn't know if it would hook up ok . i know i have to change to my short input yoke but i heard stories of shift linkage not fitting right.i'm thinking about one of the sei drives but i don't know much about them. any input?

Back