Logo

F4 starting problem

rkoski

I'm new to outboard engines. I bought a 2002 F4 four-stroke that sat for a long time. I replaced the water pump, lubes, plug, fuel filter and screen. I got it to fire up and it seemed to run pretty good. Once on my sailboat, though, it would only run when choked. As I was working on the boat all summer, the engine sat on its side in the recommended orientation. I brought the motor home, took the carb apart, but one jet is seized in there. Soaked everything and blew with compressed air. Now, I can't get any bit of igniting. I verified that I'm pumping fuel, pulled the plug and found it oil-soaked. Replaced that and verified spark by grounding plug to the intake plenum. Pulled a few times, yanked the plug and found it wet with fuel so that's getting in there. Should I try some starting fluid? The stuff intimidates me. Spray it into the air intake of the carb or remove the plug and blow a shot in there? Thanks much for any advice!

I had the same problem with an F4A and found it was caused by varnish-like residue in the carb and I found the following solution.

"Action:
a) Remove carb drain bolt
b) Poke hole in hole to release varnish and junk
c)spray in carb cleaner
d) put bolt in and let cleaner work
e) remove bolt, crap will flow out
f) squeeze bulb and push fuel through carb
G) if not clean, repeat.

This solution fixed mine. DRAIN THE CARB BOWL FREQUENTLY! The money you save on fuel is unlike any motor I've ever seen. I have a 16 foot boat and troll for 5 hours on 2 litres. "

Back