Logo

1988 evinrude 120 vro fitting failure catostropic failure

Hi
I was out today duck hunting and my alarm came on .Stopped boat and found the return fitting on my new (1 year old) vro had broken and was flooding my engine compartment with gas.This part is so fraile Im not suprised it didn't happen sooner.I was very glad it didnt end up with a explosion.
Any of you had simular issues and hopefully live to talk about it.

I don't know what you mean by return fitting. Post a pic if you can.

The fitting that sits on top that goes to the carbs
It just snapped .It was not that cold when it did it but we have had subzero temps here recently.I think it was temperature related but the company should find a sutiable repacement.

I've seen a few of those fittings break loose from their related flange.... that is a cement failure of sorts (fitting comes loose), but never due to a actual breakage of the plastic substance. Which was it?

If it simply came loose, a failure of that type should be covered by warranty. Was it?

Last edited:
I've seen a few of those fittings break loose from their related flange.... that is a cement failure of sorts (fitting comes loose), but never due to a actual breakage of the plastic substance. Which was it?

If it simply came loose, a failure of that type should be covered by warranty. Was it?

This was the new style which fits down into the pump with a o ring.The fitting is retained by a metal flange with two screws.My old pump did have the gled fitting that cam lose also.
I called evinrude this morning and told them what happened.Said I had to buy a new pump,no parts avalable. No warrenty past 90 days.Theyalso said the never had a problem with this before.Parts and pump made in Mexico
Thanks so much repling to me.

This was the new style which fits down into the pump with a o ring.The fitting is retained by a metal flange with two screws.My old pump did have the gled fitting that cam lose also.
I called evinrude this morning and told them what happened.Said I had to buy a new pump,no parts avalable. No warrenty past 90 days.Theyalso said the never had a problem with this before.Parts and pump made in Mexico
Thanks so much repling to me.

Hi,

I think I know which fitting you are speaking of, I had one break on '95 150 HP. At the time I was able to buy *just* the fitting for like $5 but I think they initially told me there was no way to purchase it. We looked at some diagrams, and eventually found a part number. I believe it was in a parts breakdown that was specific to VRO's (not for any year model engine rather something that was just for VRO pumps).

Looking through the diagrams for various years I can't find the part number, but that's not surprising. You may want to look through various years VRO assemblies to see if you can find a part #, then try googling it to see if you can find one. Ebay is usually good for random things like that.

Worst scenario if all you need is a good elbow, on Ebay there are used pumps < $100, just buy one of the same vintage and use the elbow. Plus then you will have some other spare parts if the pump is otherwise in working order.

It's also possible you can come up with another similar fitting that will work, ie I have had good luck finding similar odds and ends looking through plumbing and HVAC parts.

Jon

I know not why folks rush out to buy new pumps when they are so easy to inspect and repair.----------Or if you can solve it with money , you do not have any problems I guess.

old pump worked well but tried a epoxy fix recommended by a dealer and it came lose while i inspected it awhile later.If you know a material that will hold please let me know as I have the old pump still.
thanks

Normally these fittings wouldn't just break and it has happened twice. I suspect that you may have a problem with the outlet fuel hose exerting excessive pressure on the fitting?

thanks guys so much especialy for the part number from Marine engine.Im checking with my dealer first to see if he has one.
I do wish though that evinrude would check out this problem .Maybe a metal fitting would work better if they are breaking.
Thanks again.

That's the first one I ever heard of breaking. Check the hose coming from it.

In agreement with Boobie.... With nothing connected to that fitting, it would last indefinitely. Something is causing it to break and the only thing attached to it is one hose.

my feeling is the new line is alot stiffer than the old non ethonal which puts strain on the fitting.This along with cold weather makes it more brittle and suspect to breaking.Plastic doesnt like zero temps.

Back