Logo

Accurately measure fuel burn on 454 return style fuel system

n36511

Regular Contributor
I was considering buying some fuel flow meters for my 1995 carver equipped with Crusader 454 xl's. After thinking thru this some, I am not sure this will give me an accurate of fuel burn. My system is equipped with a fuel return system. If the fuel flow gauge is sensing all fuel that flows to both the injectors and the fuel that gets returned to the tank, how can it be accurate? Am I wrong in my logic? If not, what can I use to display fuel consumption?
Thanks,
Scott

Like Chris suggests, if you get a Floscan in the correct configuration, it's no problem.

The "base" floscan takes sensor pulses and displays GPH and provides a total gallons consumed value. To account for the "excess" fuel returned to the tank, they add another sensor and "subtract" its outputs from the supply side...vs adding the two together...

If you have any doubts or additional questions, just contact floscan directly and they will answer all of them - great outfit!!

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. From what I read on floscan, I will need the twin diesel setup....my wallet hasn't quiet recovered from Chrismas to be able to spend the $1200+ yet :)

Understand about Xmas....but you can get the fuel burn info from one of their 5500 series packages for under half of what you quoted...from the factory...just food for thought.

Does the return line in your system go to it's own fitting on the fuel tank?

Not sure but will check today... I have a valve panel that allows me to redirect the flow to the aft tank or turn it off all together... Question... if I turn the return valve off, would it have any performance impact and would it allow me to use a standard fuel flow meter?

Guys, thanks for the responses....so I am picking up quite a bit of doubt from you guys on my return system setup... I need to verify. The previous owner explained it to me, but in the crusader manual, I see no reference to a return fuel system. I have the valve panel in the boat but will trace the fuel lines back to make sure it was not just a standard install type of thing on that model boat.

So I did verify and from the throttle body the return line runs to the fuel selector switch then out to whatever tank was selected. Reviewing this and dealing with some fuel pump issues (see other thread) made me start to wonder....according to the parts manual it appears I can buy three items and route that fuel out of the TB and back into the fuel pump for less that $50 per engine.... that being said, any forseen issues with me changing that out and then using a returnless flow meter prior to the fuel pump?454xkp22.gif

Last edited:
If you feed the return line back to the pump feed you can use the Floscan with the single sender and your boat will be 50 state legal. The fuel tank return was only done on a few models in the mid 90's.

Back