Logo

stator or trigger switch ?

mercman1961

I have a 1974 40hp 402 merc outboard I just replaced my stator and switch box as the dealer told me that that was my problem now I still have the same problem of the motor shutting down on throttle up or when in full out after 2 min. and not being able to re-start wright away, could this also be a carb problem it will only start after re-adjusting mixture screw.

Thanks Mercman1961

put a timing light on it at time of failure..decide if it is a fire or fuel problem...the first thing to be checked on any failure before replacing parts is the compression and fire..you need another repair facility....how much was the stator and switchbox and didnt get a fix...simple troubleshooting is the way to go..throwing parts in is expensive...dont take this personally...most of us learned the hard way...

put a timing light on it at time of failure..decide if it is a fire or fuel problem...the first thing to be checked on any failure before replacing parts is the compression and fire..you need another repair facility....how much was the stator and switchbox and didnt get a fix...simple troubleshooting is the way to go..throwing parts in is expensive...dont take this personally...most of us learned the hard way...

Thank You papyson

A good way to determine if its spark put a timing light on it and set it on the deck and run the motor . Watch the light when it stalls if you still have spark focus on fuel. Pull the plugs if they are still wet it could be the fuel pump or carb. Check the pulse tube for fuel as you pump the primer bulb.

thank you and I can start it most times pumping the bulb and having the choke wide open also fuel leaks from the carb when bulb is pumped.

Back