Logo

Sitting boat maintenance list

daveccpa

I've just aquired a new to me boat that has been sitting for a few years and I want to get her dialed in before spring. The boat runs pretty well. I plan on a complete tune up, fluid change, new plug wires, possibly a new trottle & shift cable, probably a new steering cable as well, fuel filter. Anything else on the engine. What about the outdrive? Its been a number of years since I had an out drive boat. I'll change fluids but what else.

You did not say how old the boat is. If the boat is less than 10 years old and had been maintained well, replacing the shift, throttle and steering cables may be a waste of money ( the cables on my boat are ORIGINAL!). Its a sure bet that pulling the stern drive, inspecting the universals and replacing the bellows is money well spent, as well as the raw water pump internals and belts as already mentioned. The drive should be pressure/vacuum tested to see if the seals are intact Also likely the zincs need at least a good cleaning if not replacement. The prop should go to a good rebuild shop for check out/rebuild. 'whiloe you are at that end of the drive, check the prop shaft for scoring and for runout. You also did not say if the boat's engine is raw water cooled or has a heat exchanger or if it had been used in salt or fresh water.

Last edited:
Dave, it is unusual for a working Boat to have been sitting for several years without use.
A 1992 vintage boat would be worth resurrecting, but you may want to find out why it has not been used for these last several years before you start writing checks!

For example, an engine with no load on it will appear to run very well. However, if there are engine issues, they may show up when under load.

Most definitely replace the sea water pump impeller..... regardless of how good it may look.

This drive requires annual "drive coupler" alignment. Be certain that you check this.

Just say'n!

Last edited:
Check the transom and floor for soft spots by sounding it w/a rubber mallet covered w/masking tape...prevents black marks. Check under the floor to see if the stringers are solid...poke w/an awl or sound them if possible. Do the same for the motor mount bases. Examine the fuel vent and filler hoses for splits/rot. If they are buried in floatation foam they can't be seen and require a long cable camera to view the inside. I had a split fill hose buried in foam. Examine the fuel tank and its contents...clean if necessary. Change the fuel filters esp. on the pump...ck it for leaks...there is a nipple w/a yellow hose going to the carb. Nipple must be clear and no gas in hose.

Last edited:
Back