Logo

BF20 year of manufacture

johnwf

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a BF20 motor, the seller is not sure how old it is. The number he gave me is,

BAMJ103013? (I cannot read the last digit in the photo supplied, if it is needed to determine age I can get back to him).

Besides the manufacturing date does the code give any other information.

Thanks to anyone who can help,

John

It is a 2003. Model number BF20D3. The serial number is used to accurately order parts. A dealer can use it to check on line with Honda more specifically, the full model number and any warranty history.

2003 was the first year for the the BF20.

These models did not have any significant issues....other than a safety recall on its fuel chamber. http://marine.honda.com/owners/recalls If the recall has not been done, Honda will still do it for free, even though the motor is out of warranty. That is one reason that the you need the complete serial number. That in and of itself should not affect your decision to purchase it.

Make sure that the owner runs the motor for you in the water. Just running it on a hose will not demonstrate completely that the motor is running right.

Generally, the biggest problem with this motor is the carburetor getting gooed up. It has very small passages in it. The good news is...it uses very little fuel....the bad news....the small passages easily clog.

Good luck on you purchase.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you for that. The seller of the engine has priced it on the basis that it is only about 4 years old (he is the second owner). So from your information there is about a 6 year difference between actual and claimed age. He is sticking with his 4 year age claim and will not adjust his selling price so I will give this one a miss.
regards,
John

Back