Logo

Evinrude Outboard Motor - Recoil Starter

Marki13

I have a 1980 8 hp Evinrude. Has very low hour because it has been on a sailboat used for dinghy fairing. Runs great, but the other day I was out fishing and pulled the starter cord. First time it hit a few times and immediately i pulled it again. This time after it recoiled i could not pull the cord out again. It was stuck in the housing. I took the cowl off and moved the pawl leveler and I could pull start it as long as I kept my figures out of the way. I can not figure out why it will not release the cord without me holding the pawl level out. Is there a spring broken or an ear broken off. Just need some advise on trouble shooting. I would like to fix it myself, but I guess can always take it down the dock to the dealer and take a soaking for something that should be a simple fix. Easy for me to say!

I have a 1980 8 hp Evinrude. Has very low hour because it has been on a sailboat used for dinghy fairing. Runs great, but the other day I was out fishing and pulled the starter cord. First time it hit a few times and immediately i pulled it again. This time after it recoiled i could not pull the cord out again. It was stuck in the housing. I took the cowl off and moved the pawl leveler and I could pull start it as long as I kept my figures out of the way. I can not figure out why it will not release the cord without me holding the pawl level out. Is there a spring broken or an ear broken off. Just need some advise on trouble shooting. I would like to fix it myself, but I guess can always take it down the dock to the dealer and take a soaking for something that should be a simple fix. Easy for me to say!

Check that the pawl spring is not broken.

Lubrication of the assy will prob fix if spring is intact.

Maintain and all will probably be good. Forgotten and rarely used under and in bigger boats could be the problem .

Back