Logo

Manual shift/mid 2005ish 25hp Mercury

DWester

Regular Contributor
I've got a 25hp merc from around 2005 that has the shifting on the tiller arm that I don't like, so I'm looking for a manual shift kit to install instead. I've looked around with no luck. Where can a guy find one of these? I'm assuming they exist????

Some of the mariner models came with shift in the handle or with what they call side shift handle.-------Take the time to look that up to see if they will fit your motor or seek help from your friendly dealer.-------------I have one of those with the side shift !

Thanks. I'll check that out. I've been shifting with side levers for 35 years. This old dog just can't adjust to that fangdangled throttle/shifter all in one.

Especially when the new-fangled set up doesn't allow one to throttle her up in neutral to clear her out if flooded. I like the side shifter MUCH better.

With a little ingenuity, and some welding, you could remove those dopey cables and attach a side shifter.

Jeff

Especially when the new-fangled set up doesn't allow one to throttle her up in neutral to clear her out if flooded. I like the side shifter MUCH better.

Jeff

100% agree. I guess if you started out with this setup, it might be OK. But for old dogs.......a PITA. Took off one day for a troll and instead of backing up, I ran further up the bank and banged into a friend standing there.:rolleyes: Gotta change it out.

Back