Logo

unable to get above 3000 rpm 1982 johnson 115

stevewelling

This is my first time posting, my son bought a 1982 115 Johnson that has sat for 12 years. Got it running with muffs on, took to lake in august would get on plane after a while, but would not go over 3000 rpm. We are going to replace all fuel lines and rebuild fuel pump also rebuild carbs. One thing I noticed when we were trying it out in August When I turned left all the way, rpm would pick up noticeably when I turned right the rpm did not increase. I tried this about 10 times and every time the rpm would pick up when I turned to the left fully wondering that could be . I have read almost every post in archives and have not seen this mentioned before. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

You must start with a compression test, that is always step #1 , maybe you did that but forgot to post that important information.----Now running a motor like that with blockage in one or more carburetor jets can result in serious engine damage.--No fuel also means no oil !----Also check that you have spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" or more on each plug lead.

when you turn and the rpm,s come up and you then run straight does the rpm,s stay up?do you have some slop or wear in the mechanism to advance timing?is the roller in the advance arm in good shape...it has a fiberglass or something covering the roller that breaks and then you just have a smaller diameter steel roller...the other thing i would go is put a timing light on the failure and make sure you are firing on all 4 at the time of the failure...of course this would be after i did what racer recommends...compression and spark are always the first check on an outboard...the decision is always is it fire or fuel to the engine causing a failure...l

An engine sitting for that length of time would surely have fouled, clogged, gummed carburetors. Clean and rebuild both of them.

There are two (2) high speed jets to a catburetor (4 in all), located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers.... way in back of the drain screw plugs. Make sure that you carefully clean them thoroughly with a piece of single strand steel wire as solvent just doesn't do that job properly.

Back