Logo

yamaha distributor

malone3163

I have a 4.3 Yamaha and need to know how to reinstall the distributor so it will be in time. It has the denso distributor and I do not know how to tell which way to point the pick up.

4.3L as in the SBC V-6????

With any gasoline engine distributor R&R, begin with #1 cylinder at TDC C/S.... this will be for both removal and re-installation.

TDC comes around twice per every full engine cycle, so it's imperative that you be on #1 TDC Compression Stroke.... not the exhaust stroke.

If you'll stop the crankshaft @ 6* to 8* BTDC, and then with the ignition excited, turn the distributor housing CCW until you see one spark event from the ignition coil's high tension lead.
Do this several times until you get a feel for it.
Lock the distributor down, but loosely.

The engine should fire up on this relatively close spark lead.
Then immediately adjust for BASE advance.... then once warmed up, look at the progressive and TA as per your OEM specs.

BASE is BASE all day long... your progressive and TA are the important numbers.

Last edited:
I have a 4.3 Yamaha and need to know how to reinstall the distributor so it will be in time. It has the denso distributor and I do not know how to tell which way to point the pick up.

Ayuh,.... As Capt. Ken said over at iboats, ya don't have a Distributor, but it's a Cam Position Sensor, strictly a Yamaha thing,...

Back