Logo

BF75

guppy

Regular Contributor
Have a pre 1997 bf75 with points that runs great, uses no oil or leaks, just want to know if it is possible to convert it to a 9.9 with cdi ignition ?I have a bf100 that runs ok but smokes a little and burns a little bit also. Already switched lower unit from long shaft to short shaft from my bf75, easy swap. The 7.5 wont get my 12 ft on plane but the bf100 does. Done some research and found out the cam and pistons are the same, different intake and carb. Also points and condensers are really hard to find. Thank you for any information good or bad.

Post the serial numbers. There are too many variations of the two engines.

Are you trying to use the parts off of the BF100 to convert the
BF75?

Sounds like an interesting task....but most likely, the only way to find out is to transfer parts and try it.

I am thinking that you were looking at the pistons and the crank (not the cam). The pistons and crank are probably the same but the cam is probably different.

Need the serial numbers to know for sure.

Mike

I'm not putting this out as "the gospel" but it has been my understanding that, while the camshafts for 7.5 & the 10hp can be fitted to either engine, they are NOT the same.

I believe that there is still a Honda dealer in the Lo Angeles area that sells a "power upgrade" for the 7.5 to 10hp and it involves fitting the 10hp part numbered camshaft. I know someone that had it done a couple of years ago.

I met him when he brought the outboard to me for being hard to start. I found the engine to be badly out of time. After replacing the belt and checking valve lash, it started and ran like new. I couldn't tell you, though, if it had 10hp. It still said 75 on the hood:)

Ok finally got serial #s, bf75 1100327 and bf100l 1700771. I have a few other questions for the Honda dude, what type and weight of oil should I be running in the engines and lower units? Would you recommend anything like lucas in the oil since it burns oil and I truly have no idea how many hours on the bf100 or how well it was service. The bf75 I know the history on since it was my dads, it sat 10 plus years without been used, although he did fog it and drain he carb before his passing. Also would like to know the proper winterization plan

you can indeed! I did it.. No difference between the 2 except the carb.. .That said the cdi conversion is a bit involved. Heads are not compatible, coil is not compatible, also need the pulser coil and cam pulley.. the 7.5 and 10 otherwise use the same parts, have the same displacement etc.. I did the cdi conversion on one cuz I had the parts.. The head gaskets, exhaust plate gaskets and the other stuff are gonna ad up $$ pretty quickly... The cdi coil is actually stamped as such, just not visible until you remove it.. A bit tricky to install and the bottom screw is hard to get to without pulling the power output plug and that one is usually rust in and busts off.. Its always the stuck bolts that make the job difficult.. If you are lucky whoever worked on it before you followed the honda recommendation and greased them bolts up on installation..

HTH

This was likely sorted out 10 years ago !!

Yeah I saw the date after I responded.. Embarassed I was.. Perhaps I need some reading glasses. Looked for an answer to that very question a while back but never found one.

But thank you for astutely pointing that out.

Back