Logo

Where is the safest to live and fish in FL ?

Talklessridemore

Contributing Member
Hi. Guys.
I know this is not the right forum to ask this question,
but i think i need you guys help. If possible.
i' ve been thinking about moving out of the the CA ( this is where i m now)
im a father of 2 girls - 4 and 2. And asian. I got here in us in 2004. I 've been working at honda
And suzuki marine here in so Cal for 9 years -as mechanic and service manager.
I was in orlando for 16 months, so i thnk i know how bad it is gonna be, when hurricane comes.

Where is the safest place to raise kids in fl ? Low crime. Good school. Less hurricane. And. I need to go fishing as much as possible.
I can only think about jacksonville right now . I heard that south east side of jacksonville is ok.
what do you guys think ? Do you guys know anybody is hiring now ?
looking forward to hearing from you guys. Can you guys recommend other states?

Hi tlrm,
Why Florida? Is that the only state you have in mind or,are there others? Although I've been there for Disney World and the Daytona 500, I'm certainly not qualified to make suggestions for residency. I'm just being nosey. Also curious about why you want to leave sunny southern Cal (I'm a San Diego boy living in Temecula) since it sounds as if you are well established here with a gainful career. If it's "the BIG one" (quake) that's got you spooked, it might not even come in our lifetime. While you KNOW you can count on hurricanes in Florida just about every year! Totally understand if you don't care t answer.

Central Florida is Yamaha country..Honda's right or wrong have the stigma of not holding up in salt water... Wages are much lower than Ca. Housing is much cheaper. ( lake front home for 200k). Schools are awful, but only Mississippi is rated worse than Ca. Weather hot & humid... our lake has Gators! Hurricanes bring water to keep our lakes full.... did I mention the weather was hot & humid? And the Traffic! just last month I got stuck behind a guy trying to turn left at a red light... in fact today I'm traveling (20 miles) expecting heavy traffic so I'll leave early maybe 2 mins... Please don't take this wrong jgmo I'm really only venting to my Ca. friends who just don't understand....

Ha HA. Traffic? Yes! When I was in Orlando, I could not believe the TOLL ROADS! I had to stop and kick in a dime or a quarter every couple of miles it seemed like. Is there any state that has more toll roads than Fla.?
Humid??? Well, I spent some time in PANAMA and that would help you get acclimatized to the Humidity. About the same I think:~)

Yep, Toll roads are tough on visitors, without local info to avoid them or a Sunpass they can really slow you down... After 18 years in Ca. I'll take the tolls... The real question is the cost of living. Does cheaper housing lower taxes make up for the lower wages? Have to do your home work! Fishing, love it lots of choices, lots of fresh water lakes.... salt water flats on the west coast or fish the Gulf stream on the East Coast.. I prefer the panhandle....

i live in louisiana....anyone thinking of moving to any gulf coast state should spend a summer there before investing in a house etc....to some the humidity and heat is intolerable...i have known people from snow country to move back and shovel snow after one summer...

Thanks guys.
Im still thinking..
What states would you recommend ?
I really like california. But it is really hard to keep this marine business open.
alot of overheads - taxes -fees- regulrations ..etc.

Yeah, California has been usurped by "BIG GUBMENT" for sure. It's a form of "Robbing HOODism" wherein the "wealth" is forceably taken from the "middle" and then given to the poor...but...mostly...the rich. It's as if the electorate of the state is in a drunken stupor and keep going to the ballot box sleepily pulling the same self destructive handle over and over again. The same can be said for the entire nation now though.
If it's "business friendly" your looking for, then I'm not sure you'll find anyplace that can beat Texas. And, unlike Mexifornia, Texas doesn't mind if you own a rifle...or use lead bullets!

Now that you got me thinking about it, I believe I might start lookin' for little piece o Gulf Coast I can call my own too.

if i was in the boat business and thinking of moving i would decide which state i wanted to live in and then do a little research...where are the most boats registered in that state?where is the commercial fishing located and do they use the size boat that uses the motor size and type that i service?...for example?in craw fish country in south louisiana they use outboards in anywhere from a 15 to 25 foot boat...and they beat the motors to death and do almost no maintenance during the season...in fact most of them dont do a hell of a lot of maintenance period..the boat has to stop before they bring it in...the dealers and repair shops are so busy during the season that its impossible for a rec fisherman to get timely service...but i dont see any hondas...its all merc and yammy country....in fact i dont know of a convenient honda dealer down there..and i have had a camp deep in cajun country for 40 years..
a good place to start research is the wildlife and fisheries on where the boats are located...every state also has records on the tonnage of commercial catch by type...crawfish-shrimp-crabs-catfish etc...and where they come from...
when you buy a new truck in louisiana the first thing you do is go put a trailer hitch on it....we got the boats for sure...
i would be guessing but the overall motor ranking in popularity for both recreational users and commercial fishermen would be yammy or merc and then evinrude..

Back