Logo

Tohatsu 9.8 lower unit forward / reverse shift rod installation

dickj

Hi

I needed to change my water pump impeller, so removed the shift linkage roll pin, removed the 4 10mm bolts, it moved about 2 inches but no further.

I think the rod that is normally held in place by the roll pin is corroded in place. I could not free it!

So as an alternative I undid the 10 mm bolt that holds the shift linkage into the lower unit, the oil drained out and the shift rod pulled out through the hole past the O ring seal. (my mistake I think)

Changed the impeller -so far so good!

Now I need to re-assemble the unit. I can not get the shift linkage rod back through the hole into position in the lower unit. ( While I am feeding the drive shaft etc back into the leg. The rod has a bend in it that seems to prevent re -assembly ( The bend is meant to be there).

Any guidance as to how I put it back together would be greatly appreciated??:confused:

Thanks

dickj

You have removed the cam rod bushing, which allowed the push rod to move forward beyond its normal travel.

In order to reinstall the cam rod and the bushing you should separate the cam rod from the shift rod first. That may require some heat or some more force.
Then you will need to reinsert the cam rod ahead of the push rod in the LU. You may or may not need to pull the prop shaft housing to do that.

When you reconnect the shift rod bushing to the cam rod, you can use a touch of anti-seize compound. You should also use a new stainless roll pin.

Back