Logo

40-1 mix for storage??

ali'i

My dad always said, that if a 2 stroke (50-1 mix) outboard isn't going to be used for a few months, when flushing after last use of the season, switch to a 40-1 mix with the correct amount of Stabil, then run for about 5-10 minutes, then unhook fuel line and let run dry, Any thoughts on this? His motor always started easily even after 4-5 months without being used.

The concept he had was just to over lubricate it for storage. Others use fogging oil for long storage. I would definitely fog an engine for long storage, especially in high humidity areas to keep the internal parts from rusting. The oil repels any moisture from attacking the metal parts.

The concept he had was just to over lubricate it for storage. Others use fogging oil for long storage. I would definitely fog an engine for long storage, especially in high humidity areas to keep the internal parts from rusting. The oil repels any moisture from attacking the metal parts.

So if I decide to fog it, it will stall out with fuel still in the 3 carbs, do I need to drain them, or will the stabilizer keep the fuel fresh enough to not cause problems re-starting in what could be 4-5 months. Thanks

I personally would drain them without a question. Even when you run them dry, i would still always pull the drain plug just to be safe. A few minutes now will ensure a good running motor next year :)

I personally would drain them without a question. Even when you run them dry, i would still always pull the drain plug just to be safe. A few minutes now will ensure a good running motor next year :)

If I decide to fog until stalling, I will drain them, but just a follow up question, promise my last on this subject, but looking thru the Clymer Repair manual, all it says about fogging, is to remove spark plugs and spay "OMC Fogging storage oil", into cylinders and turn engine over a few times by hand, but says nothing about spaying into carbs until engine stalls. Call me confused.

either way works. running it and fogging it gets into more places, but the other method works fine if you don't want to run it to do the fogging.

I'd fog it down regardless. Just spraying in the cylinders doesn't sit real well with me. You've got roller and caged roller bearing on the crank that need to be protected from moisture as well. Just spraying oil in the cylinders won't get those bearings lubed up to protect them.

Back