Logo

Honda 15 hp 2005 long shaft question

jackd

Contributing Member
I am new to the site and just found it as I search for some help . I bought a Honda 4 stroke long shaft 15 hp motor last month . I ran it 2 times maby 1/2 hr total . Day 3 I was in rought weather and headed back . I also most got back and to me it seemed to be like then you pull the plug and run the gas out .

It shut off and wouldnt start up . I used the trolling motor to get back . When I got home I jiggled the motor end and I thought it clicked . I took out on a lake cant run gas and started it right up so I went to the gas lake the next week .

It had problems starting and when it did it idled and when gave gas it shut off almost like wasnt getting enough gas.

I had a problem before with the end that plugs into the motor. It would start run almost like till ran the gas out and shut off . 1 time I actualy gave gas and then it shut off .

Now I decided to buy a joiner and bypass both ends on the motor at home on a big tank with water . It started and runs out of gas it seems .

Now I have a tank for my other motor that is new and have used with the other motor .

Next for me is to change tanks in case its the end on the gas tank or a bad gas tank.

I am new to this forrum and just looking for some help so I can get back on the water again.

I plan to try the new tank tonight . Is there any help if its not the tank . It seems to be running out of gas and the new motors seem more then I am use to working on . Thanks for any tips and I will let know how it works with the new tank . Thanks Jack

Does the ball on the hose stay firm? If it does, then I doubt it is the tank and hose. Are there any leaks when you pump the primer ball til it is hard. How old is this motor. At first, I thought maybe it was brand new, but I am not sure. If it is, you may take it to the dealer, it should be under warranty.

Honda 15 hp 2005 Long shaft. The prime ball does get hard . I bypassed the 2 ends at the motor because I had bad ends before . The new tank motor has a bigger hose so I could not hook up the hose . I did hold the hose in the new tank and did the same thing .

I think the connector is a good place to look, however, if the ball is staying firm, i doubt it is a connector issue. Usually the problem is leaks with bad connectors. Have you checked the fuel filter to make sure it isn't clogged? After that you are down to the fuel pump and carburetor. Did you try pumping the ball when it was starting to die. If the fuel pump is going bad, pumping the ball will act like a fuel pump and keep it running.

That was my next thought the fuel filter . I will check that Saturday . I will start it up first and when it stalls try and prime it to see if runs to illiminate the fuel pump . The new tank hose is too big so I just stuck the hose in the new tank I have for another motor and it did the same thing . I also drained all the gas out to make sure its not something in the tank . It looks clean but I see a few short pieces in metal hook type pieces .

Thanks for the help and I will post what I find out Saturday when I come back to work Monday.

Hi jackd,
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your having problems with your "new" (to you) Honda.

thebubba is giving you good advice, I have a couple of ideas to run by you too

Try draining the carburetor float chamber into a clear container to see if you can see any water or contaminants come out.

Attached to your dipstick is a black, round, rubber thing that is plumbed between the fuel pump and the carburetor. It is called a "fuel chamber". See item #2 in the parts page link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2005/BF15D5 LRTA /FUEL PUMP/parts.html

That "chamber" has a habit of acting as a fuel/water separator and will, over time, fill with water and starve the engine for gas. It is a good idea to, every so often, take it completely off of the dipstick tube and turn it upside down and shake all the liquid out of it. I'm not saying that is your problem but it very well could be.

Good luck and get back to us with your findings.

Last edited:
Sorry about that bad info . Your right . Its a new motor to me and not brand new.

I didnt get it started yet and tried this this morning. I took and drained the tank to check the tank out . There was a bunch if dirt and particles. I put the bottom gas in a bottle and looks like a coating of pardon my language crap on the bottom. I also took the fuel filter off and checked it out and looks good . Now the carb looks new to me. I am a old school with the old school carbs .

I use to work on my dirtbikes and older motors . This looks new to me. Do I have to worry about something flying as I have never messed with something new like this ? I will let you all know Monday my new findings .

Again Thanks for your help and I am greatful for the advise .

These carbs are pretty simple devices but are surprisingly difficult to get cleaned out once they've been contaminated.

The biggest mistake a Honda owner makes with these is when they put the outboard away for an extended time without FULLY DRAINING the float chamber. It will pretty much bite you every time if there is even the SLIGHTEST bit of moisture in the fuel.

Make sure you shake out that fuel chamber "thingy". If you end up needing to clean the carb, don't worry, we can talk you through the job.

These newer 4 strokes have very tiny jets and they must be perfectly clean for it to run correctly. Once you get that fuel system cleaned out and the carb cleaned, you will have a good running motor again. Let us know if you need any help if you get stuck.

Final update before I bite the bullet and clean the carb . The fuel filter looked good with no dirt inside . The motor at times would crank but not start , sometimes it would start and kinda stall idle and shut off , and sometimes it would start and idle higher and slowly stall as to me it runs out of gas . I just bought the motor last month . The guy who I bought it from may help me with the carbs. If not I will try myself . Colubus took a chance and I will do the same . To me its eathier the carbs or the thing that the diagram said it fills with water . Which itiem were you talking about in the diagram that fills up . I work at a TV shop and if I could pass the help on TVS . It also snowed and is very cold so I have to wait a little bit since no heated garage. Thanks again for the help .

If you get through the carbs and it doesn't fix the problem, which I think it will. Then you could also check the flywheel sheer pin. I had one once that would almost start everytime but just wouldn't run. Cleaned the carbs several times, checked everything else out and finally found the flywheel key was sheared. I personally think the carb is where you will find your problem, but just another idea after you try that if no luck.

I will be tearing the carb down this weekend when I have all day and can take my time. The fuel chamber would you recomend doing that also . Which one in the diagram is that .

Heres something I found out since I just got back into boating 2 yrs ago . Its the fuel treatment stuff for water and ethenol that causes problems . I did a test on them all .All failed except its called Ethenol shield and K100. K100 is more expensive and can be gotten at Auto Zone and thenol shield is for water and ethenol . That can be gotten at think its Home depot.Heres the test info here http://www.k100fueltreatment.com/fuel-treatments.html

The "fuel chamber" is in a black, rubber holder that is attached to THE DIPSTICK TUBE. I clearly explained it and provided a link with a parts break down in my first reply. You must disconnect the fuel lines going to it and slide it up and off of the dipstick tube to be able to get all the liquid out. If you choose NOT to do this then you may clean your carb only to find that the outboard still wont run.

Sorry about that . I missed the #2 as you clearly stated . I will take that off also and do that at the end of the season when I winterize . I never worked on a 4 stroke or something with all the electronics . I was a 2 stroke older person . I think all the new stuff kinda scared me . I will let everybody know next Monday if I can do it over the weekend . Thanks Jack

Sometimes owners have to take the carburetor off 2 or 3 times to clean it before they get it right.-------Many small jets and passageways that need to be looked at carefully.

Well I couldnt wait for the weekend . I took the carb off and was very easy to do. My motor does not have the fuel chamber . That was the confusion I was having on that part . I printed the diagram and took home.

Mine goes from the fuel filter to think its the fuel pump and from the fuel pump directly into the carb .

The carb bowl had a couple tiny specks of something . It looked good to me besides that . I didn't go further at this time . I took the drain screw and blew through it . Blew through wher it goes into the carb after I took the float off and the needle valve I think its called.

I didnt take the 1 screw out yet and wanted to check the diagram on this site . I think this is where the jet is at but wanted to look here before I went further.

There is one thing I didnt mention . I just bought this motor from a dealer 2 months ago . The motor was camofloged and he painted over the serial number . He is getting me the manual from the owner that has that info for me.

Cleaning the carb . Should I just blow through and wipe it out with a towel and blow through the spots I did. Trying to find the jets . I think its in the long piece going down the carb but have to find the diagram.

So far this was pretty easy . I had to disconnect think its the electronic piece that goes in the carb and I blew through that .

The exit gasket isnt in one piece . The 1 corner isnt there .

Thanks for your patience and your help. I feel more confident now I did what I did .
Thanks Jack

The 2005 15 and 20hp had the fuel chamber. It's possible someone removed it. Or, it's a model I'm unfamiliar with.OR...it's not a 2005 15 hp. I don't know. You need the FRAME number to be sure of what you actually own. I run across outboards all the time that are missing the frame tag. That usually indicates that the outboard has been stolen at some point in it's history. You bought it from an authorized Honda dealer??? Or a "wheeler dealer"?
If you got it from a reputable shop, they should be willing to give you a hand getting it running since you don't seem to have gotten any use out of it. Or, did you do an "as is" deal?

In my area we have the guy I bought it from and hes a repair place that sells used stuff . The next real dealer is 1 hr away.

I just got into fishing 2 yrs ago . The motor wasnt in good condition on the boat I bought . I just saved up and bought this motor and 1 month later I am now in this position . I told him about the serial number and he asured me he was getting me the owners manual with the serial number . I trusted the guy but starting to wounder . The guy will help me but wil charge me . I don't have the motor paid for yet so I am in a bind . I want to sell it next year but if I dont get what he promised I will be going to the cops .

I frown on doing things like stealing . Hes been in business for 3 yrs and the only place we have . I am trying to fix it up and he will help me he said.I will be going to his shop Saturday .

Hes willing to help me out but trying to save money and fix myself .

Well, like PAUL HARVEY used to say..."and now you know the REST of the story"..:~) Yeah, I don't like stealing either and I ask A LOT of questions before I buy one that is missing the number plate. But, with these old motors, if I didn't buy some that didn't have the plate (or label) I pretty much wouldn't buy any at all.

Don't worry, we can help you get it going...But let's try and figure out what you have so that you can RELIABLY get the correct parts if you need some.

You THINK you have a 2005 15hp so that means, on the side of the carburetor, there should be the letters BG stamped on the main body. Check that and get back to me.

Thanks.

P.S. Give me ALL the letters and numbers on the side of the carb.
jd

Last edited:
I will bring the carb to work tomorrow . There are some numbers and letters on the top but will check . If I can buy parts on this site . I will gladly give back to those who supported me .

Consider that lesson learned . First thing to do is check for a serial number. If the guy doesnt get my info I will go to the cops and make it right even if I loose . Dad tought me right and wrong.

Again I appreaciate all the help and will pass it on to another .

Right now I feel pretty dumb . Or I am too trusting . I will be bring this to a end because I wont be part of something thats stolen . He will be proving that its not to the cops . He now has a 20 Hp 2009 and sound like mine with low hours on it for $3000. I bought a boat 2 yrs ago cheap and the boat needed compleatly overhauled . The motor had a lot of issues I fixed . Had a title and the motor was on the title . The tuilt was busted but was a good deal .

The motor needed ceals and a water pump . The guy I bought mine did it cheap and was my first time dealing with him . He did a good job and cheap. I did most of the work myself .Now my boat is settup. I now need a motor and its done .I found this motor for $1700 and I talked him down to $1500 . He said if pay cash he would drop to $1300 since its at the end of the season . He told me the guy traded it in on another motor and he serviced it at his shop since new every year .He pained it because was a duck hunter .

I paid $1300 and it ran 2 times and this happened . Then I found out didnt have a serial number . This is my second boat ever . So I may know how to work on motors as I worked on my dirtbikes .Now here I am looking for help . I now wanted to sell it but I cant do what was done to me to somebody else . I will be sending him a email saying I will be going to the cops today .

My father has a TV business and has been in business for 35 ys and its just me and him . I like to support the little guys .
They say life is a lesson . Lesson lerned .
My carb has 02B with a square beside the b with what looks like a D. Below that is PL24 and I see KEI with s symbol HIN and below that was Japan.

Pardon my jumping in to this....but.....

Double check those numbers.

If it indeed says 02B...that would indicate that the carburetor is for a 9.9 HP. If it was for a 15HP the 02 would be 11. Otherwise, the carbs look the same.

If you remove the paint from the serial number plate, you will probably still be able to read the number that is etched into the plate.

Also, if you are in a state that requires a title for any outboard 10 HP and over and the person you bought it from is a legitimate dealer (with a dealer's license), he should also furnish you a title (which would have the serial number, horse power, etc on it.

Mike

I have the carb right in front of me know and its correct. There is a small plate thats attatched to the carb its 02B and there is a square kina box next that looks like a D and below it P and eather a i without th dot on top but pretty sure its a L 24 on the plate . Now right behind the intake part . There is a space that looks like a stopsign pushed in with a 22 . On the bottom part the bowl it has 55 stamped on it and on the out side of the carbthat has 2 screws holding the plat on has its hard to read but it looks like#130.

Looks like a stired up a hornets nest . The guy swears he dont buy or or sell stolen stuff and is saying he talked to the guy whos sending the owners manual with the number . Hes looking for the plate and more . Dont think he wants to deal with somebody like me again.

I looked at the paint but dont know if could peel the paint to see it . I will check tonight .

Thanks for the continued support. I live in Pa. I dont think we title motors here but not sure .

There is a screw at the bottom of the tube that goes between the float bowl . I took the screw off and its a tube going up through . I pulled it and it only drops about 1 inch . There is a stopper at the top . I blew through it and its not much going through but its a tiny hole to begin with .. There is a piece going out the bottom side . I dont know if thats the jet . I stuck a tiny piece of wire through and blew through that also .Thinking of putting it back together and see how it runs unless I should do anything more .

There should be a skinny tube inside another a bigger tube. when you take the screw out at the bottom, the bigger tube usually falls out, leaving the skinny one 'hanging". It is being held in the carb throat by a tiny little Oring that you can't see. If you go in through the front of the venturi with a pocket size screwdriver, you can work the tip up between the carb throat and the brass tube and it will "POP" out if you give the screwdriver a little twist. This junction and Oring is one of the CRITICAL interfaces within the carb that, if you screw up the seal, your outboard will not run right if if runs at all.

I was trying to point out that you need to identify what you are dealing with FIRST so that you can have some CRITICAL parts on hand before you go thrashing around trying to clean it up. Doing things the way you are, it will be just DUMB LUCK if you put it back together and it works. I've seen guys take these apart and put them back on more than 10 times trying to get the carb squared away. Let hondadude help you identify what you have and then get a parts list together and you can be reasonably assured that you will get the outboard running in short order.

You probably already need a new jet set Oring since you've disturbed it and you stated earlier that one of the mounting gaskets is "not all there". These two items alone will keep the engine from running properly if the seal of either is poor.

Hondadude is the best we've got and he's offered his advice. Take it.

When I took the screw off . The outter tube did not fall out . I took a screwdriver at the top and pushed down and it would not pop out . That is when the inner piece poped out .

The top of the outtake gasket had a pencil tear that looked to be folded over and it exposed a tiny space on hole. Could that have caused my original problem ?

I got some goof off and turpentine to try and get the paint off .

I will hang in there and see what hondadude and anybodyelse has to say . Nowthe issue is getting the outter piece out it seems stuck in there.

My dad went in the hospital yesterday and I am running the shop for 2 weeks . I will try the pait remover tonight or Saturday .

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hope everything works out well.

I would not do too much to the carburetor, until you find out if the motor is a 9.9 HP or a 15 HP. Since it appears to be a 9.9 HP carburetor...someone may have thrown a carb on it to get it running or it could be a 9.9 instead of the 15 that you thought you bought. Then that could be another issue.

These newer Honda 9.9 and 15 have different displacements. 222 cc for the 9.9 and 350 for the 15. The older Hondas were the same.

So you want to make sure all the parts are the right parts for whatever motor you have.

Besides, you thought you were buying a 15 HP motor and you may have only purchased a 9.9.

Since it was painted, etc....if the guy you bought it from is not a Honda dealer, he may not have known, himself, that it is a 9.9.

So, my advice is.....take care of your Dad and the business; check to see what you really bought; and then we will all help you get through running issue.

That carburetor has a lot of passages, and as Jimmy said, do not just throw it back together. There are several passages in the carburetor bowl, itself, that need to be checked. There is also an accelerator pump (a small piston) in the bowl that should move easily and pump fuel.

Then there are several small passages in the top of the carburetor for idling and transitions; outlets in the form of small pin holes in the top of the rear venturi; air jets and breather passages in the front top of the carburetor. Etc, etc, etc.

It looks like it is going to be a long hard winter, so there is plenty of time.

Mike

Good advice . The guy I bought it from is playing games and putting the blame on meand swearing he has the owners manual with the serial number . Yet he refuses to produce it . Tonight I am going to the police station and bringing this mess to a end . I will also take some paint remover and see if can see the serial number . As soon as I find out what I have I will let everybody know .

Dads now recovering from surgery and should be back next week .He just cant lift.

I will post as soon as I get the info I need . Thanks

Back