Logo

Honda 15 hp 2005 long shaft question

The link below lists the parts you need. #13 is the spacer you talk about. Honda calls it an insulator. It should have a gasket on each side so that requires that you purchase two of the #14 items in the picture. I would advise you to use the gasket set, item #1, for reassembly. It contains the small oring at the top of the jet set tube in addition to the float chamber gasket, drain screw oring and idle screw oring.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BFP9.9D2 XHA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Of course, this link is to boats.net and is not affiliated with this site...as far as I know. I have never purchased parts from MarineEngine.com so I really can't tell you what they offer in the way of repair parts.

Hope you get her goin'! Good luck!

My motor is BFT 9.9 LHS . This has BF 9.9D2 LSA . Is that the same thing as mine ?

I want it fixed right so I can sell it now . The long thin jet looks clean and can see through it . I see they have it for $18 new . The other parts are only $20 . Would you put the new long skinny jet in just in case it has any things that may be causing problems or am I wasting my money . With all the help I got here it will get going . Thanks Jack

Here's an LHSA link (the only LHS listed) and you can see that the part numbers are identical.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2002/BF9.9D2 LHSA/CARBURETOR/parts.html

It is MY experience that replacing the jet tube is a sure fire way to KNOW that it is clean and NOT CRACKED. They can hide an infinitesimally small particle of dirt inside the tube and it can be almost impossible to see it or get it out. And, they crack. I have put them in ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that they were fine only to have the engine not run right and find a crack in the tube when I had to pull it back out! Frustrating!

So, I ALWAYS replace the tube if I have one on hand. I kept them stocked in my parts room as a matter of course.
So, I say, a new tube is NOT a waste of money but a form of cheap insurance.

I started the motor right up and it ran but now its not peeing water . I thought if ran awhile the thermostat would open . It ran and when started to feel hot it shut off . I am thinking thats to protect it from blowing up . I made sure not to run it too long due causing problems.

I took the bottom covers off . There is a hose thats above where the exhast goes straight out the back . Its above that and its on the carberator side . I am thinking that goes in the hole on the cover and is where the water comes out . Is that correct because I did not see any other places water would be coming out ?

I am thinking the impeller is bad . How do I check and change that . I changed them on my merc but the honda you cant see the metal shaft you have to disingaged like on the merc .

How do I replace the impeller. Whats your thoughts on the problem . I am hoping just the impeller . Thanks Jack

The hose is on the right side of where the exhaust hole is if looking from the back and slightly higher . I think that plugs in the case hole to let the water out . Is that correct ?

I found a utube video . I think I may have a small space I missed where a nut is for the linkage . Thats the part I was having problems with . The rest I did before .

I will look tonight .

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. If you are trying to find where the water check port in the block is located then yes, it is on the right side and above the exhaust resonance chamber. It should have a nipple threaded into it and the check tube fits on that nipple. Sometimes it's neccessary to remove the nipple from the block to clear debris that may be plugging the bypass passage.

But, if your engine is getting hot and shutting down, then, yes, you need to look at the water pump. It is in the gear case. If you don't have a manual NOW is the time to buy one.

I found a manual online . Let me try again to make it clearer . I took the 2 side covers off to do the work . I didnt have water come out anywhere and I couldnt figure out where it came out . To the right of the exhaust toward the front of the motor is a hose sticking out . I think it got pulled out of the side cover to take the carb off easier . I think it plugged into the side cover plastic nipple piece and the the water came out that piece.

There is a nut and another long nut and was hard to find . I was looking for this to connect the long metal shaft . My merc was at the top . I found the video online and had to really look hard to find the opening where you disconnect it .

Guess my question was is there anything other then the impeller to cause no water peeing out . Mine has a hose connected to the motor and will look closer tonight if I have time to take the bottom end off.

The passages could be blocked. But you seem to indicate that there is overheating. I guess the pump could be ok and the thermostat is stuck closed along WITH the water check passage in the block obstructed with debris.

BUT, don't think you can get away with running it and having it overheat too many times while you figure it out. If it is shutting down due to overheat, it is causing damage.

Regardless if it is the ignition module going into to "protection" mode or not. Don't run it anymore until you figure out what is going on with the pump and the thermostat. Then, if it still doesn't pee, that's no big deal and you will simply need to unblock the passage with compressed air or water or string trimmer line.

I only ran it 2 times and no more . The impeller is bad . After all this I find out it was in salt water . The motor did pee fine for the the hr it ran before carb got clogged . It peeed fine till I just rebuilt the carb .

I will post pics. The very back of the bottom end . There is a piece maby 1 inch back and 1 inch high piece the was broke above the bottom end . The painted it to cover up the rust and the rest .

It ran ok . If the piece is broken above will it still work ok since under the water .

I am now going to court Its going to sit now for awhile . if I loose I will put the impeller and other pieces on . Tell my story and sell it at a loss .I will try to post the pictures to show everything .

Last edited:
00Q0Q_6fvaPTaGrCY_600x450.jpg

Well, while that's not "ideal", it doesn't render the outboard "useless" by any stretch. And, it CAN be repaired to look and function like new if you wanted to spend the time and money.

If you were going to keep and use the outboard though (you indicate it actually purrs like a kitty) I would just go buy a suitable "whale tale" planing device, bolt it on what's left of the cavitation plate and not worry about it anymore.

How about the salt water corrousion ? I dont know if that can be seen . Also the end piece that goes up that was broke off the part of the motor above it .I dont think that matters because its under the water anyway . Right now I just want to fix it to sell because already got a BAD deal . I am filing charges next week and hope to get my $1300 back . If not have to get as much as I can back . It will be sitting for the next month till see how the courts work for me. Thanks for your continued help .

Well then, just park it and wait for the decision. No use putting anymore time, money or frustration in something you can't really do anything about.

Back