Logo

1980 merc 40hp electric start wont start

madmax18

So bought it the other day, started up just fine then. now at home I have not been able to get it to start. Cranks like it wants to but doesnt turn over. I have put in new spark plugs, tried to unflood it, put new gas in, and still I have not gotten it to turn over. Any help would be great, thanks!

Do you have spark? There is a kill switch on the controls in addition to the key switch. Make sure it isn't turned to off. I had this happen to me once, couldn't figure out why old reliable wouldn't start.

I couldnt find any kill switch, I might just be blind but where would it be located. And also the previous owner said something about a fuel shut off switch?

You may not have an extra kill switch depending on your controls. If you do it will be on the side of the controls. Have you checked for spark? That will cut the problem in half of either a spark or fuel problem. I don't think there is a fuel cutoff switch on the motor itself. Are you using a remote fuel tank or an on-board tank? Do your controls have a choke button or push the key in for choke? If you think it is fuel, you could also squirt a little mixed fuel in the carburetor. I believe your motor just has one carb.

I have not checked for spark, ill do that real quick.
I am using a tank that that is on board and a fuel line runs from the tank in the back of the boat to the motor.
My controls have a choke button, and there is also a choke on the motor itself.
You are correct, only one carb

Turns out that there is a kill switch and it must be faulty. When I got the boat I noticed some wires disconnected from a button on the dash so I connected them. So I now disconnected them and it fired right up. Man do I feel dumb haha

Back