Logo

Bass Boat Title Issue

Ducman491

The issue is there isn't one. I found a Skeeter Bass boat with no motor that is very cheap. I'm starting to ask the seller questions and but in the ad he said there is no title. How difficult is it to get a title for a boat?

Like I said I'm emailing with the seller and asking questions so I don't know if there are mountains of other problems. It needs paint and I'm assuming some electrical which I can do but I'm waiting to hear about the hull and transom. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions from you guys as I get more answers from the seller as I have never done this with a boat. Motorcycles yes, but not a boat.

Thanks in advance
jason

The issue is there isn't one. I found a Skeeter Bass boat with no motor that is very cheap. I'm starting to ask the seller questions and but in the ad he said there is no title. How difficult is it to get a title for a boat?

Like I said I'm emailing with the seller and asking questions so I don't know if there are mountains of other problems. It needs paint and I'm assuming some electrical which I can do but I'm waiting to hear about the hull and transom. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions from you guys as I get more answers from the seller as I have never done this with a boat. Motorcycles yes, but not a boat.

Thanks in advance
jason

I have done this numerous times. Usually, if you have the registered owners last registered address and complete owners name you send a certified letter to them demanding signed title or power of attorneyto transfer title.. The post office will not forward the letter and after two attempts to delver, will send the letter back to you. Now, keep your receipt. if after thirty days, you have not received a response and they accepted the letter. you use your receipt from certified letter and a copy of the letter as a signature. if they do not accept, you receive the letter back and use the sealed certified letter as a signature for title.The next option is going to your local court house and filing a petition for declaratory judgment. Here its about 200 bucks,but when its all said and done you get about 150 bucks back. both take about 5 to 6 weeks. The declaratory judgement is actually easy and the clerk of circuit court should have pre writen order for you to fill out. hope this helps.

Last edited:
Great, doesn't sound too bad. Maybe I'll pull the trigger.
Thanks
Ducman491, there is a little more to it but its just a little homework, check your state dmv or dot website where titles are transferred and there should be info on what is required. some states don't title and only register. when its all said and done, I have tracked owners, used all kinds of services, best approach is the declaratory judgement. state does the work for the court. no emotion involved.

Also, if you can get the vin and registration off of hull, ask state police to run numbers for stolen before you buy.... get a good bill o sale, location of boat, date, vin number, seller name and address...

Back