Logo

rebuilding my 350 OMC

rugbyman87

Hey all, Forgive me for this is my first post. I tried to do some searching on here to find what I needed, but didn't come up with much. Sooooo anyways. I have a 1979 sea ray 240 with a 260 hp OMC on it. I was having all kinds of issues with it this past summer and knew it was time for the ole girl to get yanked out this winter. I pulled the engine out and tore it down last weekend. I have leaky intake gaskets (which I assumed), leaky head gaskets, valve guides and valve seats. None of it was really a surprise to me because of how it was acting, but im happy to see the bottom end is in amazing shape for the hours that are on it. Anyways, my question is, what kinda cam setup do I want to put in it? I just had the outdrive rebuilt by a shop (insurance paid for it) and the outdrive guytold me not to go over 280 hp or so, but find a cam with a good torque curve to support hole shots and cruising speed. I understand all of this, but I'm no cam reading guru. Wondering if anybody had any insight on what kinda cam to go with? I pulled a cap off my bottom end and my bearings are wearing amazing, i'm pretty sure I will only have to hone the cans, but haven't checked them thoroughly yet. I will pull the bottom end apart and rebuild ( I learned that lesson the hard way once before). Cliff for anybody that doesn't want to read it all>>>>> im rebuilding my 350 in my boat and have no idea what cam to buy.>>>> bottom end is good but rebuilding as well>>>>>>how much more power can I put to my OMC outdrive before she doesn't like it? THanks everybody!

just buy a marine/RV cam which will be a copy of the original. Or just reuse the original if it's still ok. OMC 350/4barrel is 260HP which is max for your sterndrive. General info about your cam and suitable replacements.
cams.jpg

Last edited:
the last thing you want in front of a stringer drive is more torque than the stock 350. I added some info to my original post about your cam.

the last thing you want in front of a stringer drive is more torque than the stock 350. I added some info to my original post about your cam.
Thanks a lot man! I appreciate it! Anything else I need to know while buying rebuild stuff for it? I have done multiple truck/car 350's but never a boat engine.

Back