Logo

Tohatsu MFS25A no water from telltale for 4 minutes, then good flow

kidalong

I've owned this motor for a year and since day one it take 3 to 4 minutes for water to start coming out the telltale. I changed the thermostat thinking it was hanging up but this did not correct problem. High temp alarm does not sound. This is my first Tohatsu, is this normal? The motor starts blowing out steam prior to waterflow. Problem occours on a cold start only, it does not occour for the rest of day. You can raise the idle to speed up then the time required to get water out the telltale is reduced, but on all boat motors I have owned in the past, flow out the telltale was immediate. Help please.

Last edited:
The telltale flows regardless of the thermostat condition, so that was not the proper approach.
The telltale should pee as soon as the water system is pressurized, so the likely culprit is the water pump. But either a restriction or a leak could cause a delay in pressurization.
Steam should not be coming out; you are probably getting near an overheat before the water comes through.
Do you have a Long or Short shaft? Was the motor ever stored outdoors in freezing weather? When was the wp last serviced?

The telltale flows regardless of the thermostat condition, so that was not the proper approach.
The telltale should pee as soon as the water system is pressurized, so the likely culprit is the water pump. But either a restriction or a leak could cause a delay in pressurization.
Steam should not be coming out; you are probably getting near an overheat before the water comes through.
Do you have a Long or Short shaft? Was the motor ever stored outdoors in freezing weather? When was the wp last serviced?

" The motor is a short shaft, It has not been exposed to freezing conditions during the time I've had it and the prior owner lived in coastal SC also. Prior owner said water pump changed just a few months before I bought it, so if he was truthful should be good otherwise anybodies guess."

I would start by inspecting the water pump. The PO may have just had the impeller replaced... if so, do the complete wp kit.

Back