Logo

Jonor other continuation Evinrude starting problem from 719

A

Alan L.

" 7/20-tried to start again -n

" 7/20-tried to start again -no luck
7/21-started no problem-idled for 15 minutes then shut off and restarted in 5 minutes(no problem)
-took out plugs to look at sparks;put plug in first boot and got strong spark;plug in secind boot weak spark first time,then no spark;plug in third boot,no spark;went back to first boot,no spark this time.Reinstalled all plugs to try and start motor,wouldn't fire or start
I assume this is an electrical problem;what are the possibilities?Is it the power pack or could it be something else?
Thank you "

" Alan,

Well, you'

" Alan,

Well, you've got it nailed down now, no spark - that was the hard part. This is something Joe or a repair manual can probably help you with; but, first thing to do is try and figure out what 1 thing up the line could be preventing spark. The most obvious problem is a bad connection somewhere. I believe with outboards, the way they are "killed" is by grounding out a lead, on my merc this lead ties into the switch box. I'd next figure out where (if) this lead is and be sure it's not grounded when it shouldn't be (to avoid destroying a multi-meter, use a test-light to check for ground). On my merc, for instance, the lead for the MOB kill switch, key switch (in off position), and mercury switch (anti-run-when-tilted-up thing) all ground out a common lead that is tied into the black-boxes. That's about all the advice I can give without having something in front of me on it, hope it helps,

Jon "

Thank you Jon for your assist

Thank you Jon for your assistance in finding the problem.Couldn't find any problem with the key or kill switch and it continued to be hard to nail down due to the intermittent nature so I finally took a chance and changed the power pack.It appears to have solved the problem as I have been out three times since.Sure hope so anyway....

Back