Logo

Mercruiser 888 shift cable

larrys toy

I just reaquirred my old 1976 Steury 18 runabout (for free!) and the guy told me it has a new style shift cable, that installed opposite of the original shift cable. However, he does not have the installation manual. I have yet to find the cable in the many boxes of new parts he gave me, so I have no part number or information available.
Was the shift cable design for the old 888 drive changed and if so, does anuyone have any information on installation or where to find it? Thanks

The difference is,
the old pre alpha 1 gen 1, The I II I and R the shift cable screwed into the gimbal housing from the bellows side.
They don't sell that cable any longer and it can not to be purchased.

The current style used on ALL ALPHA outdrives (and old as they need to be upgraded) is the one that should be there or purchased and installed.

A 1/4 NPT tap (npt = pipe thread {tapered thread}) and when the old cable is cut and is removed the thru hole must be tapped from the gimbal housing side where the shift linkage is. No drilling is required only make sure the tapped hole is STRAIGHT!

The hole should be tapped deep enough so when the new cable is installed it threads (tightens) almost all the way flush. leaving ~ 1-3 threads max.

Back