Logo

5.0 NO Electrical power except trim/tilt

Bobbyh68

I have a 2006 Stingray 220 DR with a 5.0 Mercruiser. I have No electrical power Except trim tilt, EVERTHING is dead, Lights, blower, radio, ect. The battery is new and I have also ran a new ground wire to the engine block. There has to be something I'm missing, all the circuit breaks under dash are not tripped. Please help, I need some new ideas . Thanks, Bobby

I will check the starter this weekend after Thanksgiving. But that doesn't explain why everything is dead. But I will still investigate.

The typical way mercury marine I/O's are wired,

Trim motor is wired directly to the battery so it will work all the time.

EVERYTHING else is powered thru the wiring harness. The harness gets it power off the starter terminal and goes thru the wiring harness to the dash. This power wire is typically a 10 guage RED.

When it gets to the dash it may go directly to the ignition key or thru a fuse/breaker or maybe to a terminal strip where it may be distributed.

If that power is interupted (blown fuse/open breaker, lost connection etc etc.) that is why NO POWER

The typical way mercury marine I/O's are wired,

Trim motor is wired directly to the battery so it will work all the time.

EVERYTHING else is powered thru the wiring harness. The harness gets it power off the starter terminal and goes thru the wiring harness to the dash. This power wire is typically a 10 guage RED.

When it gets to the dash it may go directly to the ignition key or thru a fuse/breaker or maybe to a terminal strip where it may be distributed.

If that power is interupted (blown fuse/open breaker, lost connection etc etc.) that is why NO POWER

I've seen the red 10 guage wire going to the Starter, I need to check/clean the connection. And then look and follow it to the Dash/breaker/terminal strip. I've checked for thrown breaker and blown fuses, but found nothing. This weekend I'll check for corroded connections on everything.

If you have a test light 12 VDC type that would make checking for voltage easier.

That way connect the clip to ground and touch what should be +12vdc and the light will light up.

Makes trouble shooting quicker.........

If you have a test light 12 VDC type that would make checking for voltage easier.

That way connect the clip to ground and touch what should be +12vdc and the light will light up.

Makes trouble shooting quicker.........

Thanks Kghost! I do have a test light, think bulb is blown. Will replace ASAP.
I did notice last time I cranked the motor it turned over real slow. Could the starter be bad? Or thats where the loose/bad/corroded connection is?

That is a 100 amp thermal type fuse. I believe it is 100 amp.

Years back (late 80's early 90's) there was a service bulliten about paint creep. As virtually every inch is painted to protect from corrosion and the paint on that area could/would creep into the connection.

It is NOT typical for this "fuse" to blow..........so dont be surprised if it is OK.

These guys know their crap! Kghost sent me step by step directions, he keeps saying turn it counter clockwise. I was, but I had my out drive upside down on a drive stand I made , so what I thought was counter clockwise really wasn't whe outdrive was upright! They know the little things that us DIY's can easily miss!

Update: This weekend I use a test light and found Power to the starter( heavy gauge red wire) and no power on the other side of the thermal fuse. It's has heavy corrosion on it, So today I ordered a new one. I will keep you guys up to date on my findings. Thanks again, I will be in touch!

What you could have done was remove the fuse and hook the wires directly to the threaded post of the starter to confirm that the fuse was the issue..

sounds like it may have corroded so it may be the problem.........The fuse did not blow but corrosion got the best of it????

What you could have done was remove the fuse and hook the wires directly to the threaded post of the starter to confirm that the fuse was the issue..

sounds like it may have corroded so it may be the problem.........The fuse did not blow but corrosion got the best of it????

Well the boat is RUNNING, the fuse bolted to the starter was the problem. It was a $25 fix, THANK You All for the help!!!! You Guys are AWESOME!!!!Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Happy boating...

Back