Logo

does the trigger fire 2 cylinders simultanously

Could one trigger coil fire 2 coils by sending a positive pulse and a negative pulse to the SCR in the switch box ?-----An " SCR " is a silicon controlled rectifier.

Last edited:
I just want to laugh, sourced an old trigger that had one of its wires missing at the base. Put a blob of solder on it and then soldered a new wire on that. did an ohms test on it, failed @ 650 the other was @ 750. Still went ahead an installed it just to check.
Cylinders fired only once / revolution. Number 1 fires where it should, No. 3 fires 90 degrees from that point, No. 2 fires 180 degrees from there and finally no.4 at 270 degrees. Now this to me sounds correct and its doing what it should and 2 cylinders should not be firing simultaneously.
I guess the upsetting thing about this experience is that I was not able to diagnose the problem with all the testing i've done, and just to put salt on the wound I ve got a trigger that is out of spec performing (may have other issues who knows but my new one should arrive soon ) and one that is in spec with regards to ohms / dva, not performing.

It can go like that at times.

Had a customer's Merc 200 (20 hp) that would not run for more than a few seconds, and it was HELL on the hands to start--it kicked back something fierce. After a bunch of parts changing I stumbled onto the answer (though I still can't believe it): two bad coils! Changed them out and it ran great.

Jeff

Could one trigger coil fire 2 coils by sending a positive pulse and a negative pulse to the SCR in the switch box ?
No as it(scr) only reacts to a postive voltage. The bias circuit in switchbox can cause this (even new ones fail) along with the wht/blk or blk from trigger acting goofy or insulation fell off and touching. If this is the case capactior would be firing 2 coils and current output to coils primary will be low as will output to plugs

Back