Logo

ESA identification help

Malibuskier

Hello all,
I have done quite a bit of searching over the last few days and have come up with a ton of awesome information. What a cool site. I need a little help with finding a part number, as I don't have any tech manual yet. I have a boat with a 1981 OMC 140STHRCIF I/O. I am looking to upgrade to a new distributor and am having a tough time identifying the original part number for the ESA on this boat. Things are further complicated by the fact that the boat is stored quite a distance from my home, so I can't just pop over and take a look. I do have a list of 8 potential numbers, but have no idea which one should be used on this particular engine. Any help would be great.

Dave

Potential Johnson/Evinrude part numbers:

1981 boats did not have ESA modules. The ESA system was introduced in 1982. Many earlier boats were retrofitted with a new lower unit and ESA system after the fact.
Regardless, just buy an aftermarket CDI unit for about 1/2 the price. Then, if you ever upgrade to electronic ignition, your CDI module will support it.

123-9898P will work just fine. You may have to cut a couple wires to adapt to the style of connector on your boat, but it's straight forward and CDI will help too if you phone them.

Back