Logo

chrysler 105 starts wont run without choke

terryj

hi guys, recently got 105hp Chrysler, it hasn't been started for 3 years, have put fresh fuel (tank was completely dry), compression is fine, new plugs, have tried cold start, it kicked over , but stopped in 2 seconds , it run for about 30 seconds pumping with the choke, previous owner said was running well till his kid started adjusting screws I am a newbie boat owner and don't want to play with it and make it worse if I have to take to mechanic, I have basic tools, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, hopefully its a simple fix,

What year and model # on your 105?

You'll probably need to clean out the bowls.

Jerry has a procedure for carb adjustments he posts fairly regularly.

Do you have an owners manual?

daves69, thanks its an old 1970s ,don't have an owners manual, , would just cleaning out bowls maybe fix it?will have to get manual , I guess

daves69, thanks its an old 1970s ,don't have an owners manual, , would just cleaning out bowls maybe fix it?will have to get manual , I guess

Can't make paragraphs,sorry.Do a compression,spark check before you do anything. The following is best done with NEW plugs. Usually when the low speed jets are dirty it can do that. Or the air/fuel settings are off. Start with cleaning the carbs.Be careful when taking the bowls off.Spray with WD on the gaskets on the bowls. It will help to lube them so they don't rip. Then the jets make sure the tiny holes are open. That OK.Then check the fuel pump.Take it apart and check the diaphram. Then the air screws, start at 1 and 1/8 turn out from lightly seated. Then try to start it. Hook up a hose with good pressure.Or put it DEEP in a bucket,2-4 inches over the cavitation plate. If it starts and doesn't run smooth,turn the air screws out another 1/8th or so. Then after it's warm, set the air screws for operation. One carb at a time.Turn the air screw in1/8th a turn, wait 10 seconds.Do this until the motor coughs,stutters,stalls.Then out 1/2 turn.It's important to wait the 10 seconds between the adjustments,it burns off the gas at the old setting. Do this on all carbs. This is the first adjustment. Once you do this on land,you need to do this in the water in gear.Tied to a dock or even moving.

Thanks Jack.
That Video is from FrankA
Frank's really good with Chrysler/Force stuff.
Most times he's over on the iboats forums.

jerryjerry, to be able to do paragraphs, click on the A/A at the far left end of the tool bar before you start typing your reply.

That is what I did here, see it works.

Back