Logo

ignition switch installation help

zlink0

I just bought a boat without an ignition switch and it has a Johnson 115 outboard. I bought an 6 terminal ignition switch with M,M,C,A,I,B,S lettering. But I have a Purple, Purple/white, red/purple, black, black/yellow, white, tan, and grey. I have been trying for longer than I want to admit to get this connected right. (the boat is a 1966 fiberglass) what color goes to what terminal?

I just bought a boat without an ignition switch and it has a Johnson 115 outboard. I bought an 6 terminal ignition switch with M,M,C,A,I,B,S lettering. But I have a Purple, Purple/white, red/purple, black, black/yellow, white, tan, and grey. I have been trying for longer than I want to admit to get this connected right. (the boat is a 1966 fiberglass) what color goes to what terminal?

M - Raised "M" Terminal = Black/Yellow wire. (Kill Circuit)
M - Regular "M" Terminal = Black wire. (Ground)
C - Purple/White wire. (Choke Solenoid)
A - Purple wire(s). (12v Only when key is in RUN or START position)
I - (Ignore this one)
B - Red/Purple wire (12v Voltage wire)
S - White wire (Starter Solenoid)

Truly amazing. Somebody went to all the trouble to draw the wiring diagram posted by kimcrwbr and left out two of the most important parts. No battery cable between the battery + and starter solenoid. And no battery ground cable. Unbelievable.

I neglected to list the TAN and GRAY wire............... Also the warning horn wiring.

PURPLE wire from "A" terminal of ignition switch to warning horn terminal. If a two wire only horn,it doesn't matter which horn terminal.........
HOWEVER, if a small black plastic warning horn is used that has a built in black ground wire, the PURPLE wire must attach to the slide on terminal that is the furthest away from that ground wire.

TAN wire from wiring harness attaches to the slide on terminal of the horn that is closest to the built in ground wire.

GRAY wire of the wiring harness attaches to the tachometer sensor (S) terminal or the tachometer's GRAY wire if so equipped.

Back