Logo

Default 4045 won't shut down

I have a JD 4045TFM with electronic engine controls and 1425 hr. The engine will not shut down when the key is switched to "off". I need to cut off the fuel supply in order to stop the engine. Does anyone know what is going on?
    Thanks,
    James Caldwell

Default Re: 4045 won't shut down

It is a mechanical lever which overwhelms the rack, but because you have electronic controls there is a solenoid attached to the lever. You should locate the lever and solenoid, disconnect the solenoid, start up the engine and then use the lever to shut off the engine. Provided it shuts off, you should then be able to easily diagnose if the solenoid is bad (if it does not react to 12 volts) or if there is a signal problem, say from the switch to the solenoid)

Ahoyhoy

Default Re: 4045 won't shut down

Quote Originally Posted by jimnche View Post
    I have a JD 4045TFM with electronic engine controls and 1425 hr. The engine will not shut down when the key is switched to "off". I need to cut off the fuel supply in order to stop the engine. Does anyone know what is going on?
    Thanks,
    James Caldwell
    A diesel engine that won't shut down could be a runaway engine. To protect your investment, you may want to consider an emergency shut down valve. This valve is installed between the filter and the intake., and when activated, shuts off the air, causing the engine to turn off. check my website for more info.... esdvalvellc.com